Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowtech Commander >

Bowtech Commander

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowtech Commander

Old 05-17-2008, 08:55 AM

Default Bowtech Commander

Questions for you Bowtech guys. I was thinking of trying a longer ATA bow like the Commander. I've noticed that the '08 models have a different cam system than the 07's. As far as I know, they didn't change the cam system on the Guardians for '08 (except for color). So I was wondering why theychanged theCommander? Was there problems with the design of the '07 Commander? I haven't shot any of the Commanders yet. I was just wondering if I should stay away from the '07 for some reason. I also want to give the Guardian a try as well, but I was just thinkingofa longer ATA bow for more forgiveness since I already have a couple of bows that are 33" ATA. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowtech Commander

I was just wondering if I should stay away from the '07 for some reason.
I have an 07 and an 08 Commander both are good shooters.

It's just a pity my neck wont let me shoot my Compounds.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:26 AM

I, too, like longer ATA bows. Haven't tried a Commander yet. The local Bowtech dealer kinda made a face when I mentioned the Commander - made some comment along the lines that the General (which I have tried) was the bow to own in the Bowtech lineup. As much I like the Vectrix XL over the regular Vectrix, it seems logical the Commander would be a real sweetheart.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:36 AM

Haven't tried the General, but it is just too short for my preference. My preferenceis a bow that is at least 33 inches ATA. I have two with those current specs. So I was wanting to try something a tad longer to see if there was much difference. I've heard a lot of positive feedback about the Bowtech center pivot design. So I thought the Commander might be worth a try. I will also try the Guardian again. I just figured it is already close to the same specs as my current bows. Just thought of trying something different. Any info you can provide (pros/cons) on the Commander '07 and '08 would be appreciated. I've also only owned single cam bows so far. So what is the draw cycle and back wall feel like on the Commander?
Old 05-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

The guy I shoot with at every archery event bought a 2007 Commander and as far as I know he really likes it. He does however say that its a bit heavy, but he is a really small guy too. Also, when he draws it I've noticed that it jerks close to the end of the draw cycle-fairly hard-at least for him. It shoots great though and he's happy with it. I don't know why they changed the cams on the 08s but my guess would be to smooth out the draw. I know you said you didn't like a less than 33 ATA, but you ought to try the General, just to see. I said the same thing when I was shooting my Guardian, but then I shot the General. Its not 33 ATA but it is forgiving with its 8 1/4" BH.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a commander last year and love it no problems what so ever,I never have to worry about it just pull it out and shoot it.It is the sweetest bow I have ever owened,if you like the longer ata then you can't go wrong with the commander,either model would be fine.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Host of Hosts

I don't know why your dealer would have made a face when mentioning the Commander. I had one last year and it shot great. I'm just a little different than you and prefer the shorter ATA bows. Otherwise I'd still have it.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 08 Commander has a draw stop peg on the cam. The 07 didn't. This gives the 08 a bit harder wall. You can also make minor draw length adjustments with it.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had my 07 since they came out, I bought the first one my shop had, and still have it. I was going to trade it for a 101 this year, but couldn't part with it. Best bow I've ever shot, and also the quietest one that's I've been around. Not sure what the jerking is that was mentioned above, sounds like operator error to me.The new cams are a little rougher on the draw than the 07, but the drawstop peg does make for a rock solid backwall. There is an '08 in Max-4 at shop right now..may have to add him to my stable. You will definitely be pleased with the Commander if you decide to go with it, but either way, go and shoot one and you'll see why the reviews are so positive.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I, too, like longer ATA bows. Haven't tried a Commander yet. The local Bowtech dealer kinda made a face when I mentioned the Commander - made some comment along the lines that the General (which I have tried) was the bow to own in the Bowtech lineup. As much I like the Vectrix XL over the regular Vectrix, it seems logical the Commander would be a real sweetheart.

I can't imagine somebody making a face at you when you mention the commander, I have a 07' that has really impressed me. The shop here raves about them as well as the General. The only real difference is the commander is a bit longer.....I love mine and would not let the shop owner talk you out of one if you like the longer axle to axle bows and don't mind the added weight of a longer bow.....Commander is the quietest bow, with zero hand shock that I have ever put in my hands.....And still shoot in the 300 fps range with hunting shafts.....If anybody is out there looking for a longer bow I would recommend the commander to anyone of them without hesitation......

Quick Reply: Bowtech Commander

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.