Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dry Fire

Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dry Fire

So I snuck off today for a couple of hours to try shoot some goats with my buddy.

We got close to a few but not clear shots, so we didn't take a shot..... Until I spoted one bedded down out in the open.
We snuck in behind some brush my buddy came to full draw and stepped out with the goat about 10 yards away, and hissed at me to step out as there were three there. It was about now that I noticed his arrow had somehow come off the string. I was desperately whispering/shouting at him not to fire as his arrow was off! He tried to look down and touched off his release accidentally.

His bow is a PSE Fireflight and is pretty old 15+ years at least.

It does not look too bad, it seems the only damage is a snapped cable but he only just got it back after having to wait for 3 weeks for a new string. Spare parts for old bows suck!

I think he was hoping it would be more damaged so he could convince his wife he needed a new one

So no goat hunting for a while as he is the one with permission to access this land. Unles of course I can convince him to come along as cameraman!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:07 AM

Default RE: Dry Fire

You make a good case for a containment arrow rest, like the Whisker Biscuit or one of the containment drop aways. Have him (or better yet a pro shop) check over his limbs real carefully. May have a hairline fracture.

He needs a new bow anyway
Old 05-17-2008, 10:18 AM

My brother dryfired my Bear Truth, i took it into the shop to be inspected and everything was fine. One of my silencers popped off but thats about it. If you dryfire your bow take it in to be inspected.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

He has a prong style rest, but the arrow came off the string not the rest.
He thinks his release slipped up the string and pushed it off, as the little brass nockin point below the arrow was loose and pushed up to the top one when we looked at it afterwards.

He will definitely take it in to get checked over before he uses it again, he did seem dissapointed it wasn't obviously irrepairable so he could justify a new one.

I agree he needs a new bow too. My bow is the same age as his and I have an 82nd airborne on order but I haven't told him I am just going to show up to a hunt with it and watch his face. I am positive after he sees my new bow he will invest in a new one. I am getting sick of waiting though, I ordered it 4 weeks ago!