Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 wHAT KINDA STAND YOU HUNT OUT OF MOST >

wHAT KINDA STAND YOU HUNT OUT OF MOST

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wHAT KINDA STAND YOU HUNT OUT OF MOST

Old 05-14-2008, 07:58 PM

Default RE: wHAT KINDA STAND YOU HUNT OUT OF MOST

I mainly use my climber, it give me so many more options. I have a fair amount of hang ons and my father likes ladder stands since he's getting olderbut I find my hang ons I always want to move to another spot and ladder stands are so loud while trying to get in position for the shot. I know climbers aren't the quietest while climbing, but there has been so many times that I've climbed a tree made a fair amount of noise and either seen deer not spooked while going up the tree or very shortly after settleing in. In fact, I tore my acl a few years back and after the surgery my first time out in my climber I probably made more noise than ever getting up a tree in a hardwoods, about half way up I notices two does feeding at about100 yards out. I don't know if it's because I hunt central Wisconsin where it's fairly populated, but I don't think noise is as big of a deal as people make it, and if you take your time, noice is minimal.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like using loc - on's because I feel more sucure in them and they are easy to set up and take down.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Loggy climber for me. It isnt the most comfortable stand but hunting public land in the mountains, some of my spots are a 2 hr hike in. My Loggy weighs in at right at 10lbs. and that means alot when I go to the more remote spots.
Lock ns come up missing almost every time I leave one. Even with locks on them. Theifs will find away to get em down.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ladders, then permanents, then hang ons
Old 05-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Loc Ons! They will fit in a variety of trees.

Dan
Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 PM

Lock-ons mainly , and then a Summit Climber.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Hangons mostly though I will again be acquiring another Lone Wolf climber soon. I have a few specific spots in fencerows, along field edges, and in some thick nasty stuff that require sticks and a hangon so I'll be using my LW Assault and climbing sticks a lot.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two ladder stands that I use in areas that I want to scout out and can't climb with the climber.

I primarily have loc ons, about 14 or so. The loc ons go into trees that I know I will hunt often, most of them can't accomodate a climber and it takes too long to monkey with a climber compared to climbing right into the tree with a loc on.

For areas where there is a lot of stand theft or where we rarely hunt I use the old climber (API).

As for cost you gotta know where to look. I use a lot of smaller loc on, the 18x24" ones which I can buy for less than 30 bucks off season at stores like Dick's around here. I also capitalized on the closeout section of Meijers several years ago and bought loc ons for 8-24 bucks. I do have some larger loc ons as well but have found the smaller ones to be less creaky in cold weather.

All of my bucks have come out of loc ons
Old 05-15-2008, 11:21 AM

I have about 6 hang ons and that is it. I have no problem walking in with it on my back beforelight and setting up. With a GOOD set of screw ins, hanging a stand is much, much easier than what many guys make it out to be.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 AM

Summit Viper. Just started getting into using a ground blind last yr. Never seen anything though. We'll see how it goes this yr.

Quick Reply: wHAT KINDA STAND YOU HUNT OUT OF MOST

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.