Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you kill a snake? >

Would you kill a snake?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you kill a snake?

Old 05-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-14-2008, 09:47 AM

Default RE: Would you kill a snake?

I will only kill a snake if it is poisonous and it is acting aggressive towards me or my children.

Otherwise I just let them be on their way and do as they please.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Only way I would kill one is if it was an immediate threat to me or a companion... Otherwise, I see no point in killing a snake? We don't really have many poisonous snakes around here in the first place so it is a moot point.

I catchsnakes in the garage and sunning on the driveway in the summer and let them go out in the yard since the womandon't likethem though....

Can someone explain the whole fear associated with snakes? I really don't get it....
[/align]
Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I stayed out of the other thread cause I figured it would just get me fired up. I would not intentionally kill a snake just forthe sake of killing it. Poisonous or not. If I felt I was in danger of getting bit by a poisonous one, I'd probably put myself MORE at risk attempting to kill it, rather than just vacating the area.

I am with Matt & Scott. I have never EVER understood the irrational killing of every snake a person sees. It is one of the few things that REALLY angers me in life. I love snakes, always have. The are fascinating.

Now I would eat rattlesnake, I've heard it's very good. Even though not a fan of killing snakes, if I was in a place loaded with them & it was legal/common practice to eat some, I would give it a try.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can honestly say, i dont "think" I really fear them, I just plain dont like them, period. I can walk up on one and not be afraid, but still kill it, I was always brought up with Dad and Papa killing snakes and such so I guess i took that with me, and now I kill them, but I have yet to come accross a poisonous one that I know of, and I bet I'll get a little nervousright before I kill it.

To each his own... right?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Have you actually been chased ??
Black snake when I was a kidbut I was chasing him first .

I would only kill a snake if there was a safety concern. The last snake in my yard sent my daughter screaming and crying in my direction. We went and caught it and I she began to understand there is nothing to fear. But that was a 3 foot black snake. She wasn't afraid of the baby garter snake we caught before that.

The chickens love to catch little snakes. They will chase the one with the snake and try and steal it. This can go on for a time until the snake gets ripped into pieces.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I don't even think I'd kill a poisonous one at my house.........I'd catch it and relocate him somewhere.

Seriously.

I have no fear of snakes and understand their benefits to the habitat. I have never understood the irrational reaction of killing every snake a person sees just because they're snakes. ESPECIALLY those who kill harmless species like Garter, Milk, Corn etc snakes......good lord get over the fear.

And people who carry revolvers with snakeshot just for snakes? Where are you guys walking, the outback of Australia?

Now if you have a place where kids play quite a bit in a rural setting it might be best if any dangerous snakes get the heave-ho and I DO have Copperhead skins on my longbow limbs.
Learn what different snakes look like and enjoy them for what they are.......they're actually pretty cool when you realize they all won't kill you or chase you for miles down a wooded trail.
Well said, the snakes in the US aren't that aggressive. You usually have to mess with or try to pick it up fora snake to bite you. I think it is the surprise of coming across one curled up or almost stepping on it that gets most people upset.

If you are going to Austrailia or Africa then you should be concerned. The Black Mamba is known to aggressively chase someone.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckeye

Only way I would kill one is if it was an immediate threat to me or a companion... Otherwise, I see no point in killing a snake? We don't really have many poisonous snakes around here in the first place so it is a moot point.

I catchsnakes in the garage and sunning on the driveway in the summer and let them go out in the yard since the womandon't likethem though....

Can someone explain the whole fear associated with snakes? I really don't get it....

[/align]
I can ... they are a bunch of Pansies .....

and I totally agree with your post, Scott
Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Not unless I was real hungry.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will kill a rattler, but not just because it's a poisonous snake. I kill them to eat. As I stated in the other post, it's a bonus to come across one while hunting. They taste very good fried. I pretty much leave all other snakes alone. I caught them as a kid, so I have never feared them in the least bit. I would have 20 or 30 at a time in my back yard, both poisonous and non poisonous. Just leave them alone, and they will leave you alone.

Quick Reply: Would you kill a snake?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.