Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Starting to Bow Hunt - Need Bow Suggestions >

Starting to Bow Hunt - Need Bow Suggestions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Starting to Bow Hunt - Need Bow Suggestions

Old 05-10-2008, 10:15 AM

Default Starting to Bow Hunt - Need Bow Suggestions

Hey y'all. I've never even posted in the bowhunting forum, but I have been really wanting to get into bowhunting. I'm an avid hunter, and I think I'm up to the challenge.

Keep in mind, I'm a college student with limited funds. My parents gave me a $200 gift certificate to Bass Pro for my birthday, and I went there and saw a PSE I liked for $289. I'm well aware that the best bows are very expensive, but what do you guys suggest in that price range? I'd really appreciate any input, because I don't know much about bows. Thanks.

-Walker
Old 05-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Starting to Bow Hunt - Need Bow Suggestions

Walker....most new compounds like the PSE you mentioned above are well equipped to be a fine hunting bow. Do not let people talk you into buying an $800 bow right out of the gate. Just buy one from a big store just in case something goes wrong on the bow and you can get the parts replaced for free. Have an archery pro at the shop set you up with a bow that fits you and is comfortable...BEST of luck.

Brett
Old 05-10-2008, 11:01 AM

Look at the Parker Line of bows, they should offer something close to that price range.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

They don't have them listed online, but my local BPS sells Martin bows. IMO they are a great bow for the money.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

the pse,martin,bear ,and parker are good starter bows. go to bass pro and try them out and see what feels right for you
Old 05-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best advise I can give is figure out what your budget is then go shoot as many bows as you can in that price range. The $200 gift certificate to BPS is great but remember the bow is only part of the purchase. You will also need arrows, sight, rest, quiver and release. If you find a bow you like elsewhere get it then use the gift certificate at BPS for all the other stuff. But definetly shoot as many bows as you can and decide for yourself what your favorite is. You might also want to look for a used bow. Lots of members on here have tons of bows that are great shape that would really allow you to get a good deal for your money.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Once you find the bow your looking for and you get it all set up and ready for bow hunting learn the word patience!! To many people are out there flinging arrows out 30, 40, and 50 yards when allot of times they wouldn't have to. Allot of the times these same people didn't have the patience in thinking the animal wasn't going to come any closer, although they don't always come closer but the may. Your shooting a bow, not a gun. Good luck bow hunting and I wish you the best!!
Old 05-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mathews Drenalin

Old 05-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are on limited funds take a look at the Diamond line. Also the BowTech TomKat is one of the most overlooked bargains out there. It's also a very nice performing, shooting bow.

Dan
Old 05-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would suggest to first look at fred bears, parkers, and pses

Quick Reply: Starting to Bow Hunt - Need Bow Suggestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.