Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's your absolutely best tip? >

What's your absolutely best tip?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your absolutely best tip?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's your absolutely best tip?

always sit an hour more
Old 05-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Let's hear 'em: whether it applies to shooting, tuning or hunting... what's your ONE best tip that would make people envious they'd never thought of it before?

If you've got a couple "one best tips"... that's ok, but the idea is they're singular in nature.

I'll start off ...

When hunting funnels, often times we as bowhunters encounter a couple trails paralleling each other, yet they're far enough away that we can't "cover" them both by placing a stand in the middle. For example, two trails running parallel to each other that are 85 yards apart in the woods; you could split the difference, but a 43-yard shot to either trail is really an iffy proposition. You're going to have to pick one to cover.

If you know which way the deer are coming from, you can backtrack that direction several hundred yards on the trail you can't cover and hangone of yourt-shirts or some socks from a vantage point where the approaching deer are sure to catch its scent. Hopefully, it'll funnel all the deer that day down the trail you're set up on.

Another I heard today...

Take some string wax and put a big glob of it on the e-clips of your axles; it serves a couple purposes: One, it helps to "weathercoat" your axles from inclement weather by keeping moisture from getting down the axle holes in the limbs, and two, you've got a handy supply of wax at the ready to coat your string if you notice fraying or you're worried about sitting in that rain and want some extra protection for your string.
I'll go with yours.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:40 AM
Bartender

Life is to short enjoy the hell out of it!

From: http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/article/Top_Tips_for_Buck_Hunters
1 . Keep an open mind. Stop believing all the old-time myths, and you’ll start tagging more bucks. The best time for killing a hog-bodied buck isn’t when the moon is full or waxing or waning. It isn’t during the first week of early archery seasons when bucks are still in bachelor groups, and it isn’t when when October gives way to November. The best time to kill a hog-bodied buck is after you’ve done enough scouting to learn where deer travel and when you’ve perched your scent-free body and gear in a tree that he decides to walk by on a given day.

2 . Shrug off bad advice. Leave words like never and always out of your deer hunting vocabulary. Above all, don’t be talked out of going to the woods.
Phrases like “October lull” and “nocturnal bucks” are excuses for guys who get their butts kicked and don’t want to admit it. The best old-timer absolute advice I’ve ever heard is, “You’ll never kill a deer if you stay in bed all morning.”

3 . Read and understand the signs. Buck make rubs and scrapes to provide visual and olfactory signposts for other deer, but deer hunters overrate rubs. Although it’s true that mature bucks living on low-density habitat can be outsmarted along well-defined rub lines, time-strapped hunters are best served by using rubs as starting points for scouting forays.

4 . Become a trail wizard. Realize that well-worn deer trails aren’t sure-fire tickets to success. Instead of hastily popping up a stand that overlooks a trail, dissect the area and learn how deer use the trail and where it leads in all directions.

5 . Set realistic goals. The guys on TV and in the magazines kill big bucks — oftentimes several in one season — for a good reason: They have great places to hunt. There’s nothing wrong with dreaming about wrapping your tag on a Booner, but don’t let such aspirations desensitize yourself to that buck that’s the king of your 40-acre woodlot.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

something that has not been mentioned yet. Physical fitness. Doing even a little cardio, some weight training, and shedding some un needed pounds really reflects how you feel, therefore helping in keeping that mind state that keeps you sharp in the woods. You would not believe how just giving up soda pop and drinking alot of water will do for ya.Im 42 and need all the help i can get I challenge you!!! Im about 40 lbs lighter than i was in 1 1/2 years ago Do it damit!! Do it now!!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:13 AM
Bartender

Great point blood brotha and I am down 35lbs since Jan 3rd. I still want to lose 7lb more before the camp
then have my cut off sleeves working. GUNS BABY!

My first challange is to schultzy, 10lbs by sept 1stbro.[8D]
Old 05-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: peakrut

Great point blood brotha and I am down 35lbs since Jan 3rd. I still want to lose 7lb more before the camp

Hey there big T!! I'm on the kick also, I'm looking to drop 10lbs by fall (Sept.1st), I've shed off 7 so far. I'm at 210lbs right now, 200 would suit me fine!! Its good to hear your looking out for yourself there Peak, your family needs ya!! Also one of these years Peak I'm going to cross the river and were going to do some serious state land whitetail hunting so hopefully I'm going to need your assistance in dragging one of them Wisconsin bruisers out of the woods so I as well need your ass in shape!!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

"DON'T SMOKE" as I sit here with a cigg in hand.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 AM

Look behind you.

It seems the big buck always has a way of suprising you.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Bartender

Lets both get to that magical 200 and you got a deal pal!
ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: peakrut

Hey there big T!! I'm on the kick also, I'm looking to drop 10lbs by fall (Sept.1st), I've shed off 7 so far. I'm at 210lbs right now, 200 would suit me fine!! Its good to hear your looking out for yourself there Peak, your family needs ya!! Also one of these years Peak I'm going to cross the river and were going to do some serious state land whitetail hunting so hopefully I'm going to need your assistance in dragging one of them Wisconsin bruisers out of the woods so I as well need your ass in shape!!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to ruin it, but I have 2.

1) when you are about to call it quits, sit at least 10 more minutes. I had to learn that the really hard way
2) stay in shape. There is nothing worse than being limited only by your own capabilities.

Quick Reply: What's your absolutely best tip?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.