Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bait Piles,Bow Kills, And Video. I say NO >

Bait Piles,Bow Kills, And Video. I say NO

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bait Piles,Bow Kills, And Video. I say NO

Old 05-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bait Piles,Bow Kills, And Video. I say NO

ORIGINAL: twildasin

no bait here its illegal! I did hunt over bait in New Brunswick for bear..Its so thick thats the only way to do it up there!
Its the only way possible in some areas to get a bear. My area in Minnesota is no different.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Im not a big fan of baiting deer, I like to catch them on their natural travel routes. However, I do have feeders set up on the edge of crop fields and food plot fields.

For videoing, we do NOT allow the feeders to be shown, we usually dont hunt near them anyhow.

I dont think a bait pile represents what a hunting show should. I believe a hunting show should be educational and a challenge hunt. No feeders, no bait....Pure HUNTING. Seeing a mature buck shot on tv, while he is standing below a feeder, isnt exciting for me.

However, if you must bait, or its a tactic you truely believe in and employ, go fit it. If you want to video and feel that the bait will add to your success, do what I do in bare fields or cut crop fields that have been eaten down:

Get a large, quality lawn spreader. Fill it with corn, buck-o-la of whatever grain/grain mixture youd like and spread it out. If you want, do it in the woods. This will broadcast the feed over a larger area. It will be hard to see on film and appear more natural to wildlife.

Like I said, I do this late in the season. Ill spread anywhere between 5 -10+ bags in a field that deer travel through. Ill put out some kind of scent/scented feedto help them find it. 2 days later, Ill glass the field at night and see what poppin'.

Works great, and like I said, on film...it would be hard to notice.
Honest question....why on earth even bait the animal if your too embarrassed to show it on film?

If your going to bait the animal, why not just have a feeder out there and let it be known?

Seems pretty deceitful to me...

How long have you been filmin for, and for what production company?
I have the same general question as TEmbry. I'll be honest, baiting isn't for me (for deer), but if it is legal and people want to do it, they can go right ahead, its not my place to judge them.

My only point is, if you are going to bait, be honest about it. Why do you avoid showing bait on film? To make it seem as though you hunted them 'the hard way' while still taking the 'easy way'? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but that sure as heck seems like what you (or anyone...I don't want to single you out) are doing.

It just doesn't seem right to me. If you are baiting, be honest about it. I thinkit isfar worsefor a video to hide the fact they are baiting in attempts to create a "pure hunting" video than it is to openly admit the deer were baited for the film.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont see why not! most of the pro hunters or tv shows use bait, you just cant see it, they just spready minerals and corn or watever all over the area they hunt in and the reason why i know this is because my best friends dad hhunted with a few programs and thats what they did.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I say to each his own .... why care what someone else does legally???????????????????????????
That says it all right there, worry about what the illegal guys are doing .
Brent
Old 05-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted over baits in states where it is legal & have no problem with it-on or off film.
Let's face it, everyone planting that food plot is (in a sense) baiting.
You see it everywhere.
I my home state baiting IS NOT legal & I do not plant food plots but you will see my stand close to a farmers corn, beans or whatever when possible. Everything has to eat.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

not a big fan of bait piles on camera. i love plots but a bait pile seems kinda unprofessional... JMO
Old 05-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I say to each his own .... why care what someone else does legally???????????????????????????
That says it all right there, worry about what the illegal guys are doing .
Brent
Well put guys! To many hunters now a days are worrying about what the "other" guys are doing, trying to keep up with the jones', who cares, hunt for you!
Old 05-11-2008, 04:35 PM

I am an absolute anti-baiter, especially on hunting shows. If I see a deer shot off a bait pile or feeder I won't ever watch that show again.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess to each there own but I voted NO just because baiting is the Number 1 reason Michigan deer hunting s@#ks!! Not the only reason but the number 1!!! Walt
Old 05-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

If it is legal and the video is up front about it, I wouldn't mind it. I may not choose to buy the video, but I won't condemn it. Is it fair chase, that is another question.

Quick Reply: Bait Piles,Bow Kills, And Video. I say NO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.