HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/245479-go-ahead-shoot-doe-her-fawns.html)

superstrutter 05-09-2008 09:09 AM

Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!

I'm continuing this from the "would you shoot a doe with fawns thread". I have no problem at all with the ones who said they would shoot a doe with fawns. I do realiize the fawns will make it okay. What bothers me though, is, some said they would shoot the doe and her fawn(s). Why would you even want to do that? Are you that desperate for meat? It's illegal in my state, and probably many, to take two or more does in a day. What is the thrill or challenge of taking a fawn or fawns that come back to look fortheir mother or are standing or laying next to her when you recover her.I think it iskind of gutless. I do also realize we as hunters need to take does, but there are better ways to do it, ratherthan to shoot the little ones after you have shot their mother. Be honest, how many of you would shoot a doe, and if given the chance, would also shoot her doefawn or two doefawns, if it were legal to do so? I sure as hell wouldn't, spots or no spots, legal or not.

virginiashadow 05-09-2008 09:11 AM

RE: Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!

I won't do it, but if it is legal and others want to, go for it.

magicman54494 05-09-2008 09:14 AM

Relax superstrutter, Take a few deep breaths, Don't forget your medication. Keep repeating "Everything is going to be alright"

twildasin 05-09-2008 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Relax superstrutter, Take a few deep breaths, Don't forget your medication. Keep repeating "Everything is going to be alright"
DITTO ...RELAX

CIDEERHUNTER 05-09-2008 09:20 AM

a deer is a deer

kickin_buck 05-09-2008 09:21 AM

I shoot all of my does early season. I would shoot the mature doe and I knew for fact that the little ones were indeed does, I would try my best to shoot them also. I try to take as many does as I can and it still seems as if the number of does still double each year. If you want to look down on my for my management style, so be it, I take not offense to it. I understand that each one of do things different. I don't do it for the accomplishment, I do it in an attempt to try to keep the number of does in check. I also understand that there is a fault with my management style. As I said I only shoot does about the 1st month of season, once the rut is even close to kicking it I am looking my buck and nothing else. I don't shoot does in late season, mostly because they might be carring my next buck. I have nothing against those that shoot does in the late season, I also understand that doing so is a more effective way to keep doe numbers in check. It just is not what I do, as I said, I know and understand we all do things differently.

brucelanthier 05-09-2008 09:22 AM

A personal limitation of mine is spots. If there are no spots then I will shoot it.

wingchaser_labs 05-09-2008 09:23 AM

The sad truth of the matter is alot of people shoot at every deer they see and then they wonder why they don't have huge bucks runnin around on their property. Now days thats more of a public hunting land case as more and more private land owners are practicing QDM on their properties but still the case in many instances where they hunt for meat. My take on the matter is do what you please cuz I know my deer herds health and number is in my control and no one elses so whatever people want to do on their land as far as harvesting they can go ahead. Those deer are noones property till they are dead anyways and if someone wants to shoot those deer that present themselves to that person all the power to em. I'll stick with what I do shooting only big does and quality bucks.

I never read the other thread but I was watchin a show the other day and they had wilkdlife biologist speaking on their about QDM and said that if you take out a mature doe with buck fawns by her side those bucks are more likely to stay in your area because if she wasn't shot she would go through what they call "dispersal", where once they are old enough she kicks em out of the home range miles away sometimes. So he was saying by shooting your big does with buck faws with her, will keep more of those young bucks around in your hunting area for the future. Thats interesting and prolly good to know. WCL

killadoe 05-09-2008 09:26 AM

Probably not, I live in LA also and it is illegal and as tempting as it may be, I only feel like cleaning one at a time...

forddeerslayer 05-09-2008 09:26 AM

very well said wingchaser i posted something like that in the poll thread but you said it much better i agree