Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns! >

Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!

ORIGINAL: superstrutter
I think it iskind of gutless.
We hide in a tree or in a blind and shoot them when they aren't expecting it. The whole sport is "gutless". It doesn't take a lot of courage to be good at hunting. But then, that isn't really the point of hunting at all is it?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

A personal limitation of mine is spots. If there are no spots then I will shoot it.
The little ones taste great, but I'm with bruce on this one. If they are wearing spots or still suckling they get a pass from me. If others want to shoot them I'm fine with that as long as it's legal, but I'll pass.

No spots=great table fare
Old 05-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's all fine. I agree with you, but this is a forum, and we discuss things on a forum, good or bad. If you don't like it, don't respond.
I respond because I get sick of the "rule makers" trying to determine or justify how they do it. You are right........ it is a forum for discussion and when I read something I disagree with I will state my opinion as well.

Hunting sould not be drilled down to rules outside the game laws. It's supposed to be fun and fun is defined by the person behind the bow and or gun.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it's legal then it simply boils down to personal preference. Nothing more. Hunting has enough idiots criticizing us from the outside using emotion rather than facts. We don't need emotionally based battles from within our ranks!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I think too many of you watched Bambi one too many times.

In many places does need shot, and a lot of them. Big does, little does, makes no difference. A certain number needs removed. I really don't think anyone on here who does/would shoot young does makes it out like they are some sort of superhunter. They are just doing what needs done, because judging from these posts, very few are up to the task at hand.
Correct. however if your goal is to reduce a herd and you have limited tags you want to shoot big mature does because they are the one who will be carrying twins and triplets for the next year. Those fawns will most likely not have a fawn that year and th yearlings will most likely have 1 fawn. So if the goal is reducing numbers the mature does are the ones that need to be shot. I do agree do what you please, but there is always more to it that just going out and shooting whatever does there are. I don't care if someone shootsfawns. Ive done it.But the managment goal of the huntign area is always what needs to be taken into consideration in choosing what to shoot. If you want more deer on your farm but want some meat, shoot a couple fawns and leave the big does. If you want to reduce shoot the big does and not the fawns.WCL
Old 05-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

Hmm well we dont call em that around here. A fawn is a fawn until it is a year old "a yearling" in our book at least. Call it what you will but I guess I've never heard to many people call a fawn a yearling. So your basically saying a fawn that has just been born is a yearling? Seems goofy to me I guess. We grew up raising calves ad showin at fairs and a calf is condisered anythign less than a year old and a yearling class is anythgin older than a year but not 2 years old. WCL
This is all I was trying to say Early. I thought a yearling meant a year old deer which would put it being a yearling around May and June. I'm not trying to start an argument here.

year·ling- An animal that is one year old or has not completed its second year.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: NEW61375
He/she should of bobbed instead of weaved.
I almost spit soda on my monitor when I read that, and I blame you. I'm going use that saying if you don't mind, well I'm going to use it even if you do mind to be perfectly honest.

Paul
Old 05-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wingchaser_labs

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I think too many of you watched Bambi one too many times.

In many places does need shot, and a lot of them. Big does, little does, makes no difference. A certain number needs removed. I really don't think anyone on here who does/would shoot young does makes it out like they are some sort of superhunter. They are just doing what needs done, because judging from these posts, very few are up to the task at hand.
Correct. however if your goal is to reduce a herd and you have limited tags you want to shoot big mature does because they are the one who will be carrying twins and triplets for the next year. Those fawns will most likely not have a fawn that year and th yearlings will most likely have 1 fawn. So if the goal is reducing numbers the mature does are the ones that need to be shot. I do agree do what you please, but there is always more to it that just going out and shooting whatever does there are. I don't care if someone shootsfawns. Ive done it.But the managment goal of the huntign area is always what needs to be taken into consideration in choosing what to shoot. If you want more deer on your farm but want some meat, shoot a couple fawns and leave the big does. If you want to reduce shoot the big does and not the fawns.WCL
In most places that really need it, we can get unlimited tags, so a dead deer is a dead deer. And we get a pretty good percentage of fawns that will reach weight and get nocked up that fall and have one or 2 of thier own the following year. Yea ya try for big momma doe, but if she gives you the slip on the wrong trail, & a fat little wanders too close, twack. Lot of times hunting in the places that need the herd thinned the most, is the most difficult because of access. You don't get to pick & choose over several deer every night, you take what you can get when a few cross mediocre land on thier way in between lush safe havens. Its FAR mroe complex than a one system works for all.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

We own our own land and farm...I have seen as many as 50 deer in one field eating our soybeans and peanuts during the summer months...Deer can eat about 12 pounds of soybeans a night...So they are taking money out of my pocket...We kill 40-50 deer each year and have done so for 20 plus years...We give the young bucks a pass, unless it is a younger hunter...By keeping the doe population in check there is less inbreeding and better habitat for the rest...

This past year we had unlimited doe tags, I killed 8 does and one buck...Out of the 46 we killed this year, we took 8 bucks...By doing so, you have a more intense rut and you see more bucks cruising for does...We can also take 2 deer a day legally...Actually down here in NC, if you are not taking at least 2-3 does to every buck then you are not helping to control the herd...Last year there were over 25,000 deer hit on our highways so the NC Wildlife is begging us to kill more does...

If your state doesn't have the over population that we have, fine, hunt within the regulations and have fun...If you simply lease your land and like to hunt big bucks, fine, enjoy the challenge....But...On a Nationwide forum, don't try to challenge others as to how they hunt...
Old 05-09-2008, 01:22 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

I'm continuing this from the "would you shoot a doe with fawns thread". I have no problem at all with the ones who said they would shoot a doe with fawns. I do realiize the fawns will make it okay. What bothers me though, is, some said they would shoot the doe and her fawn(s). Why would you even want to do that? Are you that desperate for meat? It's illegal in my state, and probably many, to take two or more does in a day. What is the thrill or challenge of taking a fawn or fawns that come back to look fortheir mother or are standing or laying next to her when you recover her.I think it iskind of gutless. I do also realize we as hunters need to take does, but there are better ways to do it, ratherthan to shoot the little ones after you have shot their mother. Be honest, how many of you would shoot a doe, and if given the chance, would also shoot her doefawn or two doefawns, if it were legal to do so? I sure as hell wouldn't, spots or no spots, legal or not.
Because fawns are good to eat. Delicious. Its not about need, if it was need, we would be eating goverment cheese and living in a cardboard box.

Quick Reply: Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.