Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any of you get po'd and almost quit Deer Hunting? >

Any of you get po'd and almost quit Deer Hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any of you get po'd and almost quit Deer Hunting?

Old 05-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Bartender

Default Any of you get po'd and almost quit Deer Hunting?

Fess up and share your story of how you got so mad maybe not seeing deer or other issues that may have arised.

I had one time back in 95 I was hunting pretty close to my step father's barn and next to a apple orchard.I had seen a nice buck right at last light
and decide to have that stand right on the edge when my step father come out with the tracker and ask me what are you doing?
Well with my smart arse remark wtf you think I am doing and got so mad at the time I threw me bow down from the tree and left.
Thank gawd I have changed and only throw my hat now, But anyways he just got home from work and still had his farm chores to
do and at the time I didnt understand but now that I am OLD *bastards on 4/25/08 that wished me a happy bday* I understand.
Glad I did not quit for good.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any of you get po'd and almost quit Deer Hunting?

I've never considered quitting deer hunting, at least not yet.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer hunting couldn't get bad enough for me to think about quitting.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know alot of bad hunting can get to you, thats why now I'm only applying to premium areas inthe west, along with here, I'm going to hunt smarter, better dates, and be more realistic, I'll hopefully have more control of my hunting in the future, for now I'm kinda hunting where I can.

I use the summer as a nice rest before i get re amped to hunt. a few good hunts would certainly help, this year i'm hoping to take a nice antelope.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

I don't guess I've ever thought about quitting for good, but there's been numerous times I've got fed up and said I was thru for the season ... only to change my mind the next morning
Old 05-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Bartender

Saluki you hit on the head and I hope all the young folks here understand it is a growing process. At a younger age you will get so frustrated sometimes and give up but I can
tell you first hand DONT! As you get older you will appreiciate every single moment you have to enjoy the outdoors. The stresses of life can bring anyone down
but please cherish it because its a crazy dang world we live in right now. If you get a chance please and I beg of it take a youngin outdoors with you our passion depends on
it. I have the greatest pleasure of meeting so many on here online and I hope to meet everyone of them face to face.
Someday as I get the place up in Northern, Wi setup and my uncle's blessing I will invite whomever would like to come up and
share some deer hunting fun on Thousands of public land hunting. We may not get the biggest deer and I am sure most wont score but
we will have one damn good time.

T
Old 05-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Site Buck Guru

My momma didn't raise no quitter!!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Bartender

BTW May 31st is the first party at the farm near the grove my aunt it is her 50th.
About 1 mile south of KR on 45onthe right as it starts to slope down and their is a sporelein farm sign right by the drive way.
If you hit 9th street on the right you went to far.

T
Old 05-08-2008, 06:23 PM

I'm got a story similar to yours peakrut. The short version is that it was my first year bowhunting. (Freshman in H.S.) Ground hunting 'cause I couldn't afford a stand. (To this day I'm not sure I prefer one) Sun was going down and I religiously checked my watch back then for a countdown till legal hours were over. It was going to be a close call but I had a group of about 10 deer (does and fawn) making their way down the field edge towards me. I was gonna let an arrow fly if I got a shot, it would've been my first. Suddenly, with about 10 minutes of legal light left they all look up to my left, raise tail, and "C-YA"!!! I sat there confused for a good while. I knew they hadn't seen me, or heard...and was pretty confident they hadn't smelled me...(They were still at about 60yards when they ran and wind was steady and in my face the whole time) Then.......I start looking to my left. Coyote, maybe? A group of dogs out for a romp? Nope. One of the guys 2 or 3 years older than me who's house was about 300 yards to my right!!![:@] Guess he decided to quit early. This was on our land. And while I'm sure he hadn't gotten expressed permission its just kind of the understood code of the farming community around home so it bothered me about a 4 out of 10. Tough cookies I thought. He wasn't seeing anything, decided to go home, likely had a good supper on his mind and hadn't bothered to see if he was spooking MY deer on his way!!! Even if he had he wouldn't known they were mine cause he couldn't have picked my out. I was a stone while I watched those deer make way towards me.

That's not the end. He had to walk RIGHT by me on his way home. I just sat there stunned regretting my poor luck. But do you know what he does when he gets to me. He's all excited with eyes like saucers and says....."Hey, man...did you see those deer!!!! There must've been a dozen of them!!". I don't know what I said back, don't know if I said anything at all. [:@]But I do remember wondering what a muzzy would do to a human calf muscle as he walked off!!!!!!![:@][:@]

Didn't make me want to quit but sure was discouraging!!!

I've had slow years before but everytime I think about quitting I ask what I'm gonna do instead. Watch more TV? I'm not the type who has to be active every waking hour but I watch maybe 5 hours of TV a week and still consider that too much. Work more hours? I get enough of that during the summer months!!! No, there's that saying that a bad day of hunting better than a good day of work. As I get older it gets more true. (As long as I'm not behind or short on money )

I suppose I got 'em back though. That winter was my first shotgun season too and apparently I "stole" his little cousins first deer (ended up as my first deer also.) His uncles were driving them to me (illegal in my state btw) and since I didn't know what a deer drive sounded like I knew something was up but hadn't put two and two together. When I saw a nice spike (who I THOUGHT was a doe making its way about 30 yards to my left I dropped him. Apparently, his cousin was in a treestand about 75 yards behind me and watched the whole thing!!! (I couldn't find my stand that morning in the dark so I just sat under the fattest tree I could find. Plenty wide enough to hide me from him.) Again, this was our land and my dad had told them exactly where we had planned to hunt, so didn't feel tooooo bad about it. For all I know he was in my ladderstand that morning. I was too excited to put all this together until we were gutting the deer.

Yeah, I think I'll keep hunting, even if I don't get to do it much, just for the good stories!!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:31 PM

I have been aggervated, but most of the time it is with myself, not at the animal. I really never thought of giving it up most of the time it made me more determined.

Quick Reply: Any of you get po'd and almost quit Deer Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.