Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting A Doe With Yearlings >

Shooting A Doe With Yearlings

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting A Doe With Yearlings

Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Shooting A Doe With Yearlings

The very first deer I killed with a bow was a big doe that came in by herself. She didn't go far after the shot so I climbed down and left all my stuff back at the stand except for my knife and tag. As I'm elbow deep in doe innards, her fawn shows up and stands about 15 yards off, staring. Being the big softy that I am my first thought was... "dang, I should have brought my bow."

Old 05-09-2008, 05:10 AM

Spot and stalk or stalk the spots
Old 05-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whack the mature doe! By the time deer season is here, those fawns are able to take care of themselves.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

Most of the does I see have yearlings. They should be able to fend for themselfs buy October. I say shoot the doe.
Couldn't agree more!
Old 08-20-2016, 05:20 AM
Spike

I was told years ago by a wildlife biologist that if a doe has two yearlings, shoot a yearling. That doe will produce twins every year. If the doe has one yearling, shoot the mom. The yearling can fend for itself.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome and how long did it take you find that 8+ year old thread?
Old 08-20-2016, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Welcome and how long did it take you find that 8+ year old thread?
If you google "shooting a doe with yearlings" this thread is the second result that pops up on my page. So, to answer your question, probably about 3 seconds. Welcome to the forum deerhunter75!
-Jake
Old 08-21-2016, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I practice selective harvesting. I invest more time than a single weekend to the hunt, so I can afford to be picky.

If you study Deer for awhile you can spot the good breeders, the healthiest, the more intelligent and the stronger lines. I don't shoot them.

Hunting the same area for decades I can see the results.

I tend to harvest the young sub standard Bucks or the Bucks that are still hanging around Mamma late into there second year. Helps avoid recessives and inbreeding.

I harvest young Doe that are small or malformed.

Inbreeding is to be avoided if possible, bad recessives tend to show up.

In nature predators tend to stir the mix and weed out the weak. Many places Man is the only real predator. So I tend to follow the natural order whenever possible, when I harvest. The stupid, slow or excess young are the first to be harvested.

I'm just a very small part of the mix, some hunters hunt for trophies, some for size, some for the first Deer they get a shot at.

It is easier to be selective here, we have a nine month Deer season.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:59 AM
Dominant Buck

By the time bow season starts here in Vermont (early October) the fawns are able to fend for themselves if mom is taken out. I am a meat hunter and am always glad to fill the freezer.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
If you google "shooting a doe with yearlings" this thread is the second result that pops up on my page. So, to answer your question, probably about 3 seconds. Welcome to the forum deerhunter75!
-Jake
Thank you for your great response there Jake, LOL!

Quick Reply: Shooting A Doe With Yearlings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.