Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting A Doe With Yearlings >

Shooting A Doe With Yearlings

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting A Doe With Yearlings

Old 05-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting A Doe With Yearlings

ORIGINAL: Sooner State Hunter

I'd shoot the doe and if the fawn didn't run off too far, I'd stick her too. Yum, love those lil' ones.
I used this exact tactic one year while rifle hunting. I went out to fill some doe tags one time and a doe & 2 fawns come running up to me. I shot the doe first then waited for the fawns to stop running and check on their mama. Then I shot one of the fawns. I knew they wouldn't go far without their mom. By the way, I didn't feel bad about doing it eithor.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had this exact situation last fall. I shot the doe and it piled up within sight. So, then Iarrowed the fawn as soon as I confirmed that it didn't have buttons.

I have way too many doe in my area. I don't think it would be possible to shoot too many.

You can't assign human emotions to deer.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I used this exact tactic one year while rifle hunting. I went out to fill some doe tags one time and a doe & 2 fawns come running up to me. I shot the doe first then waited for the fawns to stop running and check on their mama. Then I shot one of the fawns. I knew they wouldn't go far without their mom. By the way, I didn't feel bad about doing it eithor.
Do you have any feelings for the deer you kill. If you don't, you are a killer, not a hunter. I hope you don't use the if it's brown it's down philosophy.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I hope you don't use the if it's brown it's down philosophy.
Well....I do....with a caveat.

If it's female and brown....it's down.

You have no idea of the herd dynamics of the area I hunt.....or you wouldn't have an issue with this (if you do).
Old 05-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Do you have any feelings for the deer you kill. If you don't, you are a killer, not a hunter. I hope you don't use the if it's brown it's down philosophy.
I know for sure Magic has all the feelings in the world for the animals he shoots!! I know I shouldn't be speaking for him but I've gotten to know him well enough on here that he is and will always be one of the better sportsman/hunters one should look up to and mentor. I'm sure you misunderstood what he meant when he said what he said.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:28 AM

I only shoot fawns cause I was taught when I was young to pick a spot
Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: blackfish

LMAO!! Oh man, that's a good one...
Old 05-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I won't shoot a Doe with fawns that have spots. I will shoot a Doe that has fawns, yearlings and her if she gives me the shot!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: mobow

ORIGINAL: blackfish

LMAO!! Oh man, that's a good one...
Yep I been waiten 30 years for a buck with spots I tried chasing after them with white paint and a brush and end spilling all the paint well maybe next year
Old 05-08-2008, 10:46 AM

How come you didnt put niether I don t shoot does, just don t

Quick Reply: Shooting A Doe With Yearlings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.