Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting A Doe With Yearlings >

Shooting A Doe With Yearlings

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting A Doe With Yearlings

Old 05-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting A Doe With Yearlings

This was a strong subject of discussion with My ex-Father-In-Law and Me several years ago.

My best friend was hunting and had a huge Doe with two Yearlings walk up on him. He decided to shoot the big Doe and let the yearlings fend for themselves, this was in early November.

I personally do not shoot Does with Yearlings in tow. My ex Father-In-Law forever bashed my buddy from that point on calling him "Mommy Killer". What are your views on this subject???
Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting A Doe With Yearlings

Most of the does I see have yearlings. They should be able to fend for themselfs buy October. I say shoot the doe.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are planning to shoot a doe in your area this year, this may be the perfect one.
A. By November, the yearlings are able to take care of themselves.
B. If one of the yearlyings is a buck, which odds are it is, this may keep this buck in your area. Meaning the mother won't be around to drive him off to seek a new home range. If you want to let something walk it is him for the next 3 years.
I say if you are looking to kill a doe, this is the ideal situation.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I asked this question of our local wildlife bio, last year....and got this response (in response to killing fawns.....their mothers....etc...):

Mr. Venable,

Fawns here in North Carolina are generally born in May and June, and they are no longer dependent on nursing with the doe when they are about 10 weeks old. Though they may continue supplemental nursing into the early bow season, they are fully capable of surviving on their own if the doe is harvested. The moral dilemma is more an issue of perception or misconception, rather than biology. There is no biological problem with harvesting does, even if they have fawns present, during the early bow season. The fawns will survive. I hope that helps. If you would like to discuss further, please don’t hesitate to give me a call at the number below.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 05-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtechben

If you are planning to shoot a doe in your area this year, this may be the perfect one.
A. By November, the yearlings are able to take care of themselves.
B. If one of the yearlyings is a buck, which odds are it is, this may keep this buck in your area. Meaning the mother won't be around to drive him off to seek a new home range. If you want to let something walk it is him for the next 3 years.
I say if you are looking to kill a doe, this is the ideal situation.
Would you say that the yearlings seeing their mother get shot wouldn't cause them to move off the area? This is where I have always been curious, does a yearling that witnesses the death of another deer stay in the area or leave in fear of the area?
Old 05-08-2008, 08:39 AM

I agree with the idea of shooting her. If you do and one is a buck, he MIGHT stay in the area. If you don't shoot her, he WILL be driven off. Now, another 1 1/2 year old might replace him (for the same reason, Momma was passed), but you can't depend on it. I do know he won't be there next year.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:40 AM
bigcountry

Shoot what you want. Its your tags, nobodies buyin them for ya.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I asked this question of our local wildlife bio, last year....and got this response (in response to killing fawns.....their mothers....etc...):

Mr. Venable,

Fawns here in North Carolina are generally born in May and June, and they are no longer dependent on nursing with the doe when they are about 10 weeks old. Though they may continue supplemental nursing into the early bow season, they are fully capable of surviving on their own if the doe is harvested. The moral dilemma is more an issue of perception or misconception, rather than biology. There is no biological problem with harvesting does, even if they have fawns present, during the early bow season. The fawns will survive. I hope that helps. If you would like to discuss further, please don’t hesitate to give me a call at the number below.

Thanks,

Chris
This is where the ex-Father-In-Law and I differed. He seemed to think the yearlings in November would be Coyote bait. My argument is that the yearlings might get a lesson in Hunting 101 and be harder to hunt as they grow.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

A 1.5 yr old....from everyhting I hear....his range is far greater than that of older deer.....and he's going to "roam", anyway.

I;ve never lent much credence into the theory of killing mama to let the little buck stay. I'd like to hear others comments as they pertain to this.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, they are fawns, not yearlings. A yearling is a 1 - 1 1/2 year old, but we all know what you are talking about. Personally I don't like shooting does that have fawns during early bow season. I know the fawns will probably survive, but I guess I'm just too soft hearted. I have done it before, but it's been a long time. I have nothing against someone who chooses to do it, but I just choose not to.There are plenty ofyearlings and does without fawns to take. I won't even shoot a yearling or older doe after October. I try to take my does in Oct. with my bow.

Quick Reply: Shooting A Doe With Yearlings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.