Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pre-season thoughts, expectations...... >

Pre-season thoughts, expectations......

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pre-season thoughts, expectations......

Old 05-07-2008, 06:16 PM

Default RE: Pre-season thoughts, expectations......

Im looking forward to hunting on the ground some this fall out of the DB. Id like to stick a doe or two this way.

Im actually lost right now for deer hunting though. My best property is flooded from beaver damage on the adjoining property and will likely be from now on.

My second best property was recently leased out exclusive hunting rights[:@]by my buddys uncle without telling either of us. Long story but he turned down MORE money in an alternate program, Wildlife grass, to lease out the hunting rights and leave it as is.

Now I really dont have anywhere to hunt. I have 1 or 2 places, but they are mediocre at best. If I cant find any new places by season, I will realistically just be looking for does this year, my buck standard wont drop due to this. If I cant find a better place, I will likely be hunting different animals alot more this fall, as much as I hate to say it. Ill just make the best of what Im dealt with I guess.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one new spot that is hopefully going to be productive. The place is in the middle of some pines an has a road that runs down the middle of it. The road crosses a smallcreek an the woods area littlethick. The down hill side is leading to the river bottoms. The up hill side leads to a pine thicket that is about 5 yearsold.Thereare trails coming through the woods from the bottoms leading to the thicket along with rubs an scrapes. I have put my reconyx camera there in hopes of getting some descent pics of bucks this year. I already have a few pics with two different bucks, but neither one seems to bemature. No one travels this roadan it fads out before it reaches a road where someone would think about checking it. I believe this buck is coming through the area.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Site Buck Guru

I'm going to try and shoot an even bigger deer this year. The one that got away last season.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 PM

Planning for next season never seems to end, always have a long term picture in mind. Right now my father is buying a backhoe, looking at throwing in a few more food plots and roads through the swamp. Plan on brushing an area so it thickens up in the next few years so it holds deer like it did in years past. Last year I passed up on a lot of nice youngbucks, looking forward to seeing what they'll be with another year of growth on their heads. This will be the first year I won't be gun hunting, decided to go bow only. I just can't get excited for gun hunting any longer. I alsomet a guy thispast winterwho hunting wise I havea lot on commonwith who is planning on hunting our property with me, first time I'll have somone to hunt with that's similar in age, so looking forward to that also. Pretty much trying to keep the excitement down, it's 4 months away, getting excited to early is just tourcher. Can't wait, I live for this!!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well im excited to try some new areas i found while shed hunting this year. I may be on to a good one that has survived the EHD outbreak last summer. I have already made my mind up that if its not 3.5 years old then ill eat tag soup this season. They need to rebound anyway to get it back up to par. I can still down a Doe and be happy. I have a Date with a yote to redeam myself this year, so ill be looking for willy coyote Im planning on buying a fall turkey tag also this season since i had multipul shots available last season on some gagger Toms, but had no tag [] It wont be long and i look forward to it.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

i just hope i have time to hunt.

i was going to go all out this spring...locations...stands...scouting...blah blah etc...till i realized that if i get time in the treestand i will be lucky. my ole faithfuls will be enough for me this year....if i had time like normal, i would done as much as possible...but, not having time i figured my spots now will be fine and i dont need more...

with law enforcement training, 18 college credits AND EMT training all in the fall semester, i will be lucky to see the woods....i dont like it....but its something that gotta be done....and will be worth it in the long run...

just not going to get my hopes up about bowhunting this fall. actually been telling myself to forget it so i dont get my own hopes up and start gettin pumped so im not let down come fall and im stuck studying or in classes and training...boy its gunna stink....i'll make it though...hopefully i get out a couple times...
Old 05-07-2008, 10:25 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I am really looking forward to this fall. If harvest goes as planned, here I come Idaho. Looking forward to seeing Troy and Deeagain, getting to seehis areaand hopefully getting tomeet Rybo. Hunting elk will bea bonus and something I've always dreamed about. I have a lot to do this spring/summerto prepare for the trip.

Otherwise will be scouting hard this summer and getting ready for our bow season.

Had hopedto bowhunt with TeeJay but two out of state hunting tripsin one year are not in the cards with my wages. [:@] Plus I think the wife would shoot me!! [] Hopefully the smuck will let me hunt with him the followingyear as I would like to hunt theBigWoods. 3 trees in one spot isa forestto me in this open country. Never gotten to hunt out of a climber. Combine that with TeeJays charming personality and it should be a good time. I think he said he would even drag my deer out if I got one.

Tim

Old 05-08-2008, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

With several new places to hunt I haven't yet developed a complete plan. My best opportunity will come at the west Texas land. I'm pretty sure of that. Having been out there a couple of times I have some ideas for stand placement. I have asked a local,(r33h), about predominant winds during the season. I'll scout more during the summer and get afew stands up as well as find some likely looking trees for a climber.
One spot I'm looking forward to hunting is a trail leading to a stock tank. It follows a sandy wash from a thick bedding area to the tank. There is an area where the banks of the wash are about 8-10 feet high and offer good cover. I'm going to make a natural ground blind on the north bank. The wash there is about 20 feet wide and looks to be heavily traveled. I hope to ambush a mature buck at this spot as he travels to or from the bedding area.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

well right now i finished planting a field og big blue grass and standing beans and thats where i think i will stand the best chance of killin a whopper
Old 05-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

4 months, man you mean we still got that long to wait.

Well I can't wait to see whats roaming around on my new property come fall. It will be fun to see the trail cam pics this summer as the antlers grow, and to see the bucks out in the fields. I hope to put a tag on a couple of good bucks this year. And take a few does along the way too.

I

Quick Reply: Pre-season thoughts, expectations......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.