Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What Should I do, Caught DNR Stealing My Stuff??? >

What Should I do, Caught DNR Stealing My Stuff???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Should I do, Caught DNR Stealing My Stuff???

Old 05-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Should I do, Caught DNR Stealing My Stuff???

My first take...

Without a warrant, this is an illegal search and seizure. Ok, can the feeder be seen from the road? Did someone see you hunting there?If so, then he has probable cause. It is illegal to hunt turkeys over bait. He isgathering evidence.

The WV rules pertaining to deer and the baiting of wildlife states:

[align=left]It is illegal to bait or feed cervids or other wildlife in a[/align][align=left]“Containment Area” as determined by the Director and[/align][align=left]established for the management, control or eradication of[/align][align=left]chronic wasting disease, bovine tuberculosis, avian influenza[/align][align=left]or other wildlife diseases. Song and insectivorous birds may[/align][align=left]be fed, provided that such feeding shall not cause, or be[/align][align=left]done in a manner that would be reasonably anticipated to[/align][align=left]cause, a congregation of cervids or other wildlife. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Is this considered a containment area?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Hmmm....maybe a misunderstanding.[/align]
Old 05-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would call a Lawyer first and foremost. All too often the police know the DNR around where I am at and everyone seems to look out for each other. I am not the biggest fan of Lawyers but at least they could view the laws. In this case I would think the DNR would be liable and you could have a lawsuit against them so they would likely can the guy and play nice to keep it out of court. Then again you are taking on the state so this could be a lose lose situation.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

The WV rules pertaining to deer and the baiting of wildlife states:

[align=left]It is illegal to bait or feed cervids or other wildlife in a[/align][align=left]“Containment Area” as determined by the Director and[/align][align=left]established for the management, control or eradication of[/align][align=left]chronic wasting disease, bovine tuberculosis, avian influenza[/align][align=left]or other wildlife diseases. Song and insectivorous birds may[/align][align=left]be fed, provided that such feeding shall not cause, or be[/align][align=left]done in a manner that would be reasonably anticipated to[/align][align=left]cause, a congregation of cervids or other wildlife. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Is this considered a containment area?[/align]

Interesting, that may change things!! If it is an illegal feeder, someone other than the CPO is gonna have some explaining to do []
Old 05-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

hankfan, how do you know it was 1 minute after he took the card that it took his picture??

forgive my ignorance...maybe theres a way to tell...

but i know if someone takes the card from my digital camera i can take a pic a month later and store it on the camera and i have no idea when that card was removed...i know it was in there a month earlier the last time i charged the battery(or whatever..) but id have no way to know the time it was taken...id just know it was missing....

theres NO way at all that someone else took the card and left and he came in after and was the next picture to be taken?? thats all im wondering...i just dont see how it MIGHT not just be a coincidence that his picture was the next to be taken....

very well is most likely guilty....but i dont know theres a way to absolutly prove it
Old 05-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

man oh man....call the police...it may get polital and they maypotentially blow off the issue....just my guess...
Old 05-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

UUmmmm not doubting you,but it seems odd he would take just the card,and not all your stuff,he should know the workings of game camera's and realize they still can take pics with card gone....Maybe someone was going to steal everything at a earlier time and got spooked after seeing the cam and rushed and grabbbed card not knowing better....well anyway good luck hope it works out for you............
Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 PM

Thats just screwed up! Report this clown to the police. I wouldnt call the DNR until the police do there thing.
If you call them (DNR)this guys is gonna get spooked and toss the stuff before the cops can catch him with it. I feel sorry for you, but you have to go after this guy or he is going to keep doing it.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

I'd call the police first, DNR second, and the local newspaper third if the first two calls don't produce anything The third call tends to get results pretty quickly Local agencies are always trying to aviod negative press, and if you have pictures, time data, and tire tracks to back it up - it will fly sky high in the newspaper.
X2...this is definitely the best way..
Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 PM

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

My first take...

Without a warrant, this is an illegal search and seizure. Ok, can the feeder be seen from the road? Did someone see you hunting there?If so, then he has probable cause. It is illegal to hunt turkeys over bait. He isgathering evidence.
I know in GA that a game warden can walk anywhere on your property , or go through any gate without a warrant or probale cause. I would thinkthis also would apply to all federal game wardens.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd be carefull who you tell. You might just get nothing for the trouble. The prosecutor's office is the one I'd call first.

Quick Reply: What Should I do, Caught DNR Stealing My Stuff???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.