Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
It's a necessary evil ..... I don't like it
4.86%
It's necessary ..... I'm ok with it
20.83%
It's all part of the hunt .... I like it
36.11%
It's an awesome rush .... I love it
38.19%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

The Kill

Old 05-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Kill

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

BTW .. I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to everyones view on this subject ...it has been very interesting
Same here.

you cath them and fight them
Oh yeah... rite back at ya, PT.
Tag ... your it! [:-]
Cheater.[>:] You did make me doubt myself enuff too go back and check my post, thow.
Dude, you really need a spell checker
Yep, you're absolutely right, Tony, because.... ummm..... YOU'RE FIRED!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Site Bouncer

LOL ....see above, Einstein! Please don't kill me ......
I just didn't want you to feel bad about it., so I spelled it wrong intentionally......yeah, that's it.[8D]
Old 05-06-2008, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: valor10

Here is a little story that fits this debate and you might find interesting:

2007 was my son's first year to get to hunt deer (age 9 at the time). 2 days before the hunt, he was in my truck and broke down crying, saying he didn't want to disappoint me but didn't think he would be able to actually kill a deer. Hmmm...after a little bit of thought, I asked him if he would be willing to go along and be on the hunt, but yet if a deer was there and he decided he did not want to kill it, it would be no problemand plushe could just let his sister shoot it. I also explained to him that he would enjoy just going along, seeing some deer, and being with the other guys and his sister. So...he thought that sounded good.

Fast fwd two days. A doe is coming. He sees it. I ask if he wants to shoot, but already know the answer because he is breathing really hard and shaking. He says "yes", but the deer veers away. After it is gone, he asks me "why am I shaking and breathing so hard?" I do my best to explain to him he had "doe fever". Next morning, he smokes his first deer with a perfect shot. A little tentative on the recovery, even a little bit teary eyed, but most definitely proud of himself and his accomplishment. Wasn't long before he was asking about next year. Sure enough, next year he passed on a couple does and shot his first buck. No hesitation, no tentativeness on the recovery. A true hunter no doubt.

I think Zac's innocence and first hand experience of killing that first deer is a true picture of most hunters. Indeed, the epitomy of the "hunter's paradox", and Zac said it best later when he said, "Dad...it is really weird that I felt so excited and happyabout shooting that doe, but sad at the same time." And, like all of us, without trying, he just "knew" what was right inside himself when it was time for the second kill.
Good post Robin. I'd agree 100% on a first kill. But what about the second, and beyond? Why did it become instinctual? Why did he know it was right? Because he loved it, that's why. Whatever "mixed" feelings one might feel about the actual death of an animal, one does not do it a second time unless they love it. Admitt it or not. Deep down, there's still part of us that likes to kill.Seems many what to hide it with the "thrill of the hunt", or the "whole hunting experience". Experience or feel it any way that makes you happy. I've know a few folks that hunted, killed a deer, and never hunted again, because they couldn't get over the killing part.
The Mathews site is giving away free stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: blackfish

ORIGINAL: valor10

Here is a little story that fits this debate and you might find interesting:

2007 was my son's first year to get to hunt deer (age 9 at the time). 2 days before the hunt, he was in my truck and broke down crying, saying he didn't want to disappoint me but didn't think he would be able to actually kill a deer. Hmmm...after a little bit of thought, I asked him if he would be willing to go along and be on the hunt, but yet if a deer was there and he decided he did not want to kill it, it would be no problemand plushe could just let his sister shoot it. I also explained to him that he would enjoy just going along, seeing some deer, and being with the other guys and his sister. So...he thought that sounded good.

Fast fwd two days. A doe is coming. He sees it. I ask if he wants to shoot, but already know the answer because he is breathing really hard and shaking. He says "yes", but the deer veers away. After it is gone, he asks me "why am I shaking and breathing so hard?" I do my best to explain to him he had "doe fever". Next morning, he smokes his first deer with a perfect shot. A little tentative on the recovery, even a little bit teary eyed, but most definitely proud of himself and his accomplishment. Wasn't long before he was asking about next year. Sure enough, next year he passed on a couple does and shot his first buck. No hesitation, no tentativeness on the recovery. A true hunter no doubt.

I think Zac's innocence and first hand experience of killing that first deer is a true picture of most hunters. Indeed, the epitomy of the "hunter's paradox", and Zac said it best later when he said, "Dad...it is really weird that I felt so excited and happyabout shooting that doe, but sad at the same time." And, like all of us, without trying, he just "knew" what was right inside himself when it was time for the second kill.
Good post Robin. I'd agree 100% on a first kill. But what about the second, and beyond? Why did it become instinctual? Why did he know it was right? Because he loved it, that's why. Whatever "mixed" feelings one might feel about the actual death of an animal, one does not do it a second time unless they love it. Admitt it or not. Deep down, there's still part of us that likes to kill.Seems many what to hide it with the "thrill of the hunt", or the "whole hunting experience". Experience or feel it any way that makes you happy. I've know a few folks that hunted, killed a deer, and never hunted again, because they couldn't get over the killing part.
I don't get it ...

Anyway, anyone cry when they killed their first deer??? As a young teen, I did ..... don't get me wrong, I was elated, but at the same time, I had a hard time .... that deer was special to me as she was the first deer I killed ..... kinda hard to explain ...
Old 05-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyway, anyone cry when they killed their first deer??? As a young teen, I did ..... don't get me wrong, I was elated, but at the same time, I had a hard time .... that deer was special to me as she was the first deer I killed ..... kinda hard to explain ...
OK Tony I'll hand you a tissue and you hand me your man card.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

LOL... Todd you hairy monkey, you .....I thought that might come, but not from you .... LOL

Seriously .... how old were you and did you get sad at all?
Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 PM

Huh???
Old 05-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

Huh???
x3
Old 05-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

LOL... Todd you hairy monkey, you .....I thought that might come, but not from you .... LOL

Seriously .... how old were you and did you get sad at all?
I'm going to have to start closing my curtains!

I was 12 when I killed my first deer. And truthfully I never felt any sorrow at all. I was soooo pumped up. If I didn't run out of bullets I would have killed the doe that was with him.
If I felt bad about killing a deer I would quit hunting. I do get sick to my stomach when I place a poor shot and I know the deer will suffer.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

Huh??? ever tell your kids to go out to play or I think I heard the icecream man to get rid of them you guy are alert
x3

Quick Reply: The Kill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.