Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ok, gas prices are starting to affect my hunting >

Ok, gas prices are starting to affect my hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ok, gas prices are starting to affect my hunting

Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ok, gas prices are starting to affect my hunting

BTW if you want to know how we got to where we are, it's simple.
1998 or 1999 we started a trend, we sold more SUV's and Trucks than Cars

Now that has changed[&:] Which is why GM and Ford cannot make a dime. They make very little profit on cars, and some they sell at a cost to them[&:] That is what kills them.

We did this to ourselves.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same here.Park the truck.Ride the Harley on nice days and limit trips unless its a must.I got 3D shoots for the next 5 weekends and if it wasnt for my friends going and helping out with the gas I dont think I could do it.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:16 PM

It is getting so bad that a local municipality here in Central PA wants to go to a 4 day (10hrs per day) work week to save on fuel prices. it is insane. I was just starting to get back on my feet after a divorce and being laid off of 6 months and now the gas prices are dragging me down.. I just shake my head. The politicians don't care because they ALL take money from the oil companies in one way or another, either through the lobbies or they have stock in those companies and are making money from their stock. I have yet to hear 1 of these presidential candidates come out with one idea to handle this problem.[:@]
Old 04-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here is my next car I am serious, my Focus needs two more years. These are schedule to start production in 2010.

I am going to have a big FU to certain nations in the middle east

http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar/

Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

What happened to all of the cheap oil we were supposed to get from Iraq after we liberated them?[:'(][&o][&o]
Old 04-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys at my work are suffering as well. We used to work 12 hour shifts, now we are back to 8 hours shifts. For many of the guys, they travel 50-60 miles round trip and the added workdays per month have really cost them in terms of fuel costs. Something is going to give here shortly and it is not going to be good......
Old 04-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only live a few miles from my work and am seriously starting to consider riding my bike to work.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Here is my suggestion.

Using a pickup as an everyday car is about done for most of us. Buy a little junker car that gets 30+ miles to the galllon.

I spend about 35.00 bucks a week for gas, and I car pool. They money I save goes into a "Gas" fund for trips. Set a budget for Gas for everyday use. Trim that amount in order to start this gas fund.

I budget 70.00 dollars a week for Gas, I am currently using around 35.00 dollars the rest goes in my Gas fund, yeah I have a Gas fund[&:]
Germ,

I did this, I went out and bought a Nissan Sentra that gets 30 mpg on the highway. I drive 70 miles roundtrip to work mostly highway. Now I have a truck in the driveway that doesn't get used andI am still paying on. To boot I am trying to sell it but no one wants to buy a truck right now with the fuel prices.

I am feeling the pinch big time, it sucks living in a city as there is not hunting around. I am actually planning to move in a few years whenI can find another job opening in the military.Hopefully somewhere in the country that I can hunt.

I read that if thespeculative money was removed from the price of oil, the price would drop $40 a barrel. That is B.S.[:@]The feds need to stop lowering interest rates and bring the value of the dollar back up!!!!!!!!!!!

end of rant!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

At times it gets me angry, but then again, I know I can't do much about it. I bought and 05 Tacoma in December KNOWING gas prices are only going to go up. I didn't want the fullsize truck fuel economy. I get about 20-21mpg now in the warmer weather in combined driving. I commute 30 miles a day to work, and my fuel bill is about $40 a week. I can only justify ONE vehicle at the moment, and as such, it has to be a truck since I need the ability to haul. The days of big trucks (and diesel especially) as daily drivers are over. I agree, though, the politicians all get kickbacks, because it never would have been allowed to get to this point. Most of it is due to our weakening dollar, and increased foreign investment in the oil market...it has very little to do with supply/demand, IMHO. Luckily I hunt on the land that I live on, so I have no commute, but I want to get out and fish more this spring/summer, but probably won't. If I wasn't considering buying a house/land in a year or so, I would buy a dual sport to commute on to fishing spots in the summer.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel for you guys , it really sucks . Fuel prices over here in UK are now £1.29 = $2.60 per litre for diesel , £1.22 = $2.44 petrol . I get about 40-45mpg in my diesel ****** estate , carries everything i need . But even at that i am feeling the squeeze , it ain't funny no more [:@].
Is diesel a good option in the states , seems a lot of people still drive petrol mainly .
Diesel is supposed to be cleaner than petrol , but in the UK it costs more and still keeps getting taxed . Its never right , they say we will be paying £1.50per litre in another 3 months .
How are people supposed to cope with such price climbs ?

Quick Reply: Ok, gas prices are starting to affect my hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.