Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ok, gas prices are starting to affect my hunting >

Ok, gas prices are starting to affect my hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ok, gas prices are starting to affect my hunting

Old 04-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ok, gas prices are starting to affect my hunting

Man I am glad I moved to a new house a year and a half ago...I cut my commute down by 25 miles a round trip. On the other hand, my house payment increased so oh well. I wouldn't even know what to do with my truck since its only getting 14mpg right now as my Dodge Ram is 8 years old with 130,000 miles......
Old 04-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Man I am glad I moved to a new house a year and a half ago...I cut my commute down by 25 miles a round trip. On the other hand, my house payment increased so oh well. I wouldn't even know what to do with my truck since its only getting 14mpg right now as my Dodge Ram is 8 years old with 130,000 miles......
Is the truck paid for? I would keep it for now...no need jumping into payments to save on some gas. You could pick up a used car, however (if I were looking for a car right now, without a doubt it would be a subaru).
Old 04-30-2008, 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

My 5300.00 dollar a month Diesel bill sucks ass big time!! It use to be 1800.00 a month and I'm putting on less miles now then I use to. I'm a self employed milk hauler and no I can't raise my hauling fee other wise I would of done that long ago. So yes my hunting has been affected allot, I don't do hardly any out of state hunting anymore.
Why can you not raise your fees? Or add a fuel surcharge?
I do get a fuel surcharge from the Milk plant that I haul to that doesn't amount to much. I've tried to tell them that I need more money per hundred weight (thats how I'm payed) but they always say we'll find someone else to haul the milk if you won't do it. Its not a contract, its more of a hand shake and there so called good word for a contract. I haven't had a hauling raise in 28 years. I bought the business from my dad 9 years ago and the last raise he got was in 1980. I think there whole idea is to have one big outfit haul all the milk to the milk plant instead of 10 of us that do it now. Little guy always gets the squeeze, it sucks thats for sure! When I first started out I was making good money, how times have changed.
Sounds like you need to start your own trucking company, have those other guys work for you.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Although gas prices won't affect my hunting,because I hunt right here at the house and most times drive m 4-wheller to the woods,it does hurt the wallet when both my wife and I drive back and forth to work,we are spending about 150.00 or more a week just to get to work and back and there is no way I can car pool or i would.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a company vehicle that I drive an work out of for a living. I drive my personal vehicle when I am not working an just a trip to the farm an back is about 166 miles, that is about 25 dollars. I spend around 125 a month in gas. The company truck on the other hand is between $400-$750 a month.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 2 weeks I have off for hunting in Nov wouldn't be possable unless my partner didn't put me up. He's off the same time and that would allow me to return home every 3rd day or soand back to his place the next day for another extended hunt. Years past I have made the trip (150 miles round trip) each and every day.
Hope your reading this partner
Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

may want to start taking the wifes.....4cylinder to hunt, if you get something spend the $15......what youre saving it may be worth it......

not sure the wifes car is better on gas, but I assume.....if this can work, might be worth considering.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

i know it goes agaisnt a strong theme of our country to make the best life for yourself as you, but major oil companies are raking record profits and they are just growing. restrictions should be set on profits to the oil companies and with that the economy would sky rocket helping to pull americans out of the ****ter
Old 04-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: halfrack VIII

i know it goes agaisnt a strong theme of our country to make the best life for yourself as you, but major oil companies are raking record profits and they are just growing. restrictions should be set on profits to the oil companies and with that the economy would sky rocket helping to pull americans out of the ****ter
I am not sticking up for them, but their Net profit margins are not any higher than most. About 7%, they are just selling more gas these days[&:]

I know a lot of people disagree with me, but we did this, and we can fix it also IMO
Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: twildasin

I feel ya man I never sat at home so much! Just imagine if gas prices were $1 a gal. I think the economy would pick up! Does it take a rocket scientist to figure out why people are not out spending money? Cnat afford to drive anymore![:@]Im starting to get pissed off at the whole deal!
Yeah, that would be nice, But then we would exhaust the oil resources way faster than what we can keep up with finding an alternative source.

Ryan.

Quick Reply: Ok, gas prices are starting to affect my hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.