Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Honest Question:  Cow hunts. >

Honest Question: Cow hunts.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Moo Moo Buckeroo - let's go hunting!
30.39%
I would never shoot a farm animal under any circumstances.
11.76%
I'd consider. They ARE going to be slaughtered anyway...
17.65%
This poll is gay.
40.20%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Honest Question: Cow hunts.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Honest Question: Cow hunts.

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Not a fan of cows. THWACK!
x2
Old 04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL I have better things to do with my time. I can't say I have any desire to shoot a cow with archery tackle. I would have to pass, but thank them for the offer.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 8pt~Bowhunter

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Not a fan of cows. THWACK!
x2
So now I can call you CAPTAIN Cow Killer
Old 04-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife had this costume when we were dating. I milked her all night.

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

They'd never see you coming in this:

Old 04-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

So what method would be the best for a would-be cow bowhunter?

Spot-and-Stalk?
This one for me!
Stands set up in high-traffic areas?
Baiting?
Shoot them from a vehicle?
Cattle Drives?

And I'd guess you'd want to be using a high-KE setup with a cut-on-contact head.

Do you think the other cattle would "wise up" after the first one went down?
Take a good long look at a cow and see if you can answer this one![:-] LOL cows look dumb, i bet the would just stare at you.

Personally, I'd start off with a spot-and-stalk technique, trying to keep the shots under 25 yds. If that didn't work, I'd be willing to explore other avenues.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

I think about shooting one everytime I see one... I pick out the vitals and everything.. However I probably wouldnt do it, all my life my family has had cows and I dont think i could actually co whtrough with it. Do I think about it, YES, would I do it, probably not..

Of course if you Double Dog Dared me to then it might be on... hahaha (jk)
Old 04-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hi, I'm Michael Waddell with Gander Mountain and Realtree Outdoors! Today, on Realtree Roadtrips, we're headed to the Matterhorn Ranch, in Fayetteville, Arkansas to hunt Black Angus Cattle. The staff here at Matterhorn Ranch is top-notch, and we're really hoping to get into some great bullhunting action over the next few days!

Fayetteville, Arkansas is home to the Boone & Crockett Club's world record Black AngusBull.

For our first morning's hunt, the staff here at Matterhorn Ranch has us set up over an active feed trough. We're hoping to intercept a mature bull on his way in for a bite to eat. We've got a steady wind out of the Southwest, and we've got our Advantage Max-1 HD blind set up downwind of the main travel corridor. This really is a perfect setup to key in on a great bull!

Matterhorn Ranch is in year 3 of a Quality Cow Management initiative, and it's really paying dividends. Just last year alone, they produced SIX Pope and Young Caliber cows!

After a fewaction-packed days of hunting, we were able to glass several great bulls, but we just couldn't get them into range.

So, we opted to go with the new Primos "***** Steer" decoy system. The ***** Steer is the best cow decoy on the market today, with unparalleled realism and rugged quality.

It wasn't long before the ***** Steer drew in a great bull, and my arrow struck true. We had a great bull down, and we couldn't be happier.

All in all, it was a tough hunt, but the staff here at the Matterhorn Ranch really rolled out the red carpet for us. We're definitely hoping to come back in Heifer Season later this summer!

I'm Michael Waddell, and from myself and the rest of the crew here at Realtree Roadtrips, good luck and god bless!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

And I thought I was bored at work?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

LMAO!!!!!!!! Quik,You got tears on that oneThis got the whole office laughing!!! GOOD ONE!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion this isnt too far from what a lot of people consider "hunting"....just watch some hunting on tv...

Quick Reply: Honest Question: Cow hunts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.