Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New hunter moving in on my territory >

New hunter moving in on my territory

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New hunter moving in on my territory

Old 04-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New hunter moving in on my territory

I dealt w/ this 2 years ago, I had gotten permission a year before because the landowner wanted some deer taken of the property (38 acres) I took 2 deer off it and thought he was happy. The next spring I get a call from a hunter on a neighbors property asking if I took his trail cam. I told him no, but I'd look into it. Turns out the landowner let a couple highschool kids (I know one of the kid's family, this will come into play later)go shed hunting about the same time the cam went missing. Now we don't have rock solid proof but through the grapevine we heard the kid has it and has a history of being a theif. I talked to the landowner about it, and he said don't worry I told him you were the only one that could hunt. Jump to fall I go out to do some scouting, and sure enough there is a stand 1 tree over from both of my stands!!! One of them is right on a trail that comes off of the property that the stolen cam had been on. I go up and talk to the landowner again, he said the kid told him he talked to me and I said it was ok for him to hunt there....I didn't and I told the owner this. He said well, you can tell him to move it, so I called his house...talked to his mom and asked him to please call me. I don't here from him for a while, so I call again, still nothing. I happen to run into his uncle at the hardware store and mention it to him, he said he'd pass it on to the kid and have him call me. Of course, I never heard from him. The 1 kid was the only one who was supposed to hunt but every time he went out he brought a buddy or two and one of them usually hunted my stands (as seen through bino's). Again politely spoke to landowner, nothing was done. I got complaints from neighbors who said the kids were trespassing and trying to drive deer. I only was able to hunt a couple times during the season when they weren't there (was first come first serve, and they usually headed there before I got off work) So basically there were no deer taken off that property and very few off adjoining property due to all the commotion. The landowner didn't understand that the kids had screwed it up, so he figured he'd let a couple more guys go last year. So there was 6 of us bowhunting 38 acres in 9 stands! The new guys must have been scared of heights because they had stands 10 foot or less. They also didn't care about wind direction. So yet another year no deer!!! I spoke to the landowner this spring, and told him I'm the only one who has killed deer in the last 3 years I wanted to hunt it this year solo. He told me no, so I'm going to pull my stands and give it up. The funny part of it all is the kid who wouldn't call me back about pushing into my spot was all pissed about the new guys taking over his spot!!!! Just ain't worth the headaches!
Old 04-27-2008, 02:02 AM
Bartender

Have a heart to heart with the land owner as it seems you should already have a relationship built and he should
understand. Just tell him what you told us but in a very polite way and go from there. Offer Idea's not negatives
ok. Come with a plan my friend.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

I'd love to have 60 acres that only one other person hunted. Come try some PA gamelands sometime, maybe you wont mind so much anymore
Old 04-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

dont let the jackass runn ya off! thats prolly what hes tryin to do!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get some good leather gloves and set aside a few days throughout the year,

I have a couple ofprivate ranches that I hunt and will have for many years to come. Both started as a knock on the door, over the years I have stopped by on the off seasons and helped mend fences, brand cattle, etc.

Getting permission on land should foster friendships with the land owner. More times than not, there is no benefit to having you be there, and in any case if it becomes a hassle the landowner just may say the heck with it all. Offering to lease the property goes hand in hand with what is happening across the country. The landowner finds out what he can make, then it becomes a bidding process and the guy with the most cash wins.

I would be willing to bet that if you show up during the the off season, show your commitment to the land owner and the property ( for free), that you will gain a friendship and trust that can never be bartered with!!!!

If it came down to a big issue on my property, I would side with the guy that has helped me and property greatly!!!

just my .02
Old 04-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

The ONLY way is with a lease. I went through the exact thing except I was the guy you mentioned. There were others hunting this piece but I went straight to the landowner and asked him for a sole lease, even offered him going rate for leasin hunt land.

He agreed!!!!! Now I have posted 100 signs around, and even put up two locked farm gates. I called the guys that have hunted it before and advised them I was the SOLE lessee and they cannot hunt any longer.

Its legal and binding. Once the landowner signs it, he cannot renig.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

In your best interest I think you need to go to the landowner and talk to him and find out whats going on. Tell him whats up and see if there is any way he would want you to deal with it! Explain to him that you enjoy hunting there and it was great for the last 3 years now there is alot of bickering. Ask to trade off some work for hunting or $$$$
Old 04-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Gota call this morning while Striper fishing. The land owners wife(co-worker of the other guy hunting) and he saying that she feels more comfortable with only this other guy hunting. So I am not sure what he told her when he called but I am sure it was on the up and up. Needless to say I was pissed. She then went on to ask if I wanted to take my stands down or not...and to check back in the fall for deer hunting. Not sure what to do about this. Turkey season starts thursday. Would it be wrong to decide to take stands down thursday about 5:30 am. Leave the diesel running while I take them down in the field? As you all can tell I am pretty pissed about this. And I never got a call back from the other hunter or the landowner whom I deal with. I really need to talk to him and find out what is going on.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Duramax05

Gota call this morning while Striper fishing. The land owners wife(co-worker of the other guy hunting) and he saying that she feels more comfortable with only this other guy hunting. So I am not sure what he told her when he called but I am sure it was on the up and up. Needless to say I was pissed. She then went on to ask if I wanted to take my stands down or not...and to check back in the fall for deer hunting. Not sure what to do about this. Turkey season starts thursday. Would it be wrong to decide to take stands down thursday about 5:30 am. Leave the diesel running while I take them down in the field? As you all can tell I am pretty pissed about this. And I never got a call back from the other hunter or the landowner whom I deal with. I really need to talk to him and find out what is going on.
This is a bad deal. I would contact the land owner himself and have a talk with him like you said. Sorry you have to deal with that guy[:@]

Quick Reply: New hunter moving in on my territory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.