Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting turkeys without a blind? >

Bowhunting turkeys without a blind?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting turkeys without a blind?

Old 04-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowhunting turkeys without a blind?

Has anyone had or are youhaving much successusing natural groundblinds while bowhunting turkeys?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting turkeys without a blind?

Every Tom I ever killed I was hiding in the brush, or standing between a couple of trees. I don't like to throw out numbers but its a bunch. Once his attention is on the decoy you can get drawed. When I don't use decoys ( and thats about 80%) I just wait for the right moment. One thing for sure is I never, never, try and stop a big Tom with a Maaaa Maaaa
Old 04-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Dominant Buck

One thing for sure is I never, never, try and stop a big Tom with a Maaaa Maaaa
touhe'
Old 04-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

TeeJay from HNI did it this year! He set up behind a tree. His computer is down so he hasn't been able to get on here with his pics and story.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

One thing for sure is I never, never, try and stop a big Tom with a Maaaa Maaaa
[/blockquote]

touhe'
You've just gotta laugh at that.

I keep wondering when I read these posts.... why not just use my climber??? I've had so many turkeys walk right under me never knowing I was in the woods. I realize getting to full draw is the obstacle, but wouldn't I have just as much chance as someone "hiding in the brush or standing between two trees, as MOTOWN stated?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

When deer huntng I have taken alot of birds out of my tree stands. When hunting them specifically though I prefer to be on the ground. Shots out to 40 yards are common when a Tom is held up out in the open field.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

littlecheif, take it from me that the last place you want to be is in a climber. where i hunt the turkeys are everywhere, they get in the way too often when deer hunting. a lot of times i while deer hunting the turkeys will walk up...see me at a distancesitting still in a tree and keep their head up waiting for me to move, often after this they alarm and run off. it is better to stay on the ground using turrain or something to block your movement.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Once his attention is on the decoy you can get drawed.

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I just wait for the right moment.
Exactly.

Troy, i dont know if you have seen our turkey DVD but thats all we do. I know a lot of people say it can't be done or its too hard, but its really not that bad. I use cedars a lot to hide behind/in.

You know how turkeys are, you can sit right next to a tree if you want, and as long as you dont move they wont see you. Just keep still till they turn away strutting or walk behind something that blocks thier line of sight....

Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I certainly think think this is about as hard as it gets but definately doable. I made a postabout this earlier today. Just thismorning, myhunt was messed up by a fox, but I had a good chance at at least getting a shot. The bird was at 50 yards and closing on video when the fox chased him. Here is a pic from the direction the bird was coming from, deeks are at15 yards and Im at the base of the tree, Ive already had hens in bow range a few times Ive drawn on and "could" have shot at. Hopefully tomorrow we will have a video of it from the front and behind camera view.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting turkeys without a blind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.