HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Turkey set-up opinion NEEDED (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/243794-turkey-set-up-opinion-needed.html)

BROX 04-25-2008 11:10 AM

Turkey set-up opinion NEEDED

Hunting a spot tomorrow that i know the birds are in regularly.Do i set decoys or not? Went monday didn't start there got there about 9 and the hens where in the feild i waited them out then went in and set up not as close to this corner as i wanted to though.About an hour goes by and a lone tom comes in from acrossed the feild he comes to about 40 yds looks at my decoys(a jake and a hen) and walks off to about 70yds then starts strutting. After about 10 min he walked off.I left the spot at about 11:30 and as i was packing up he runs out of a wood pile that was sitting there that i couldn't see.He must have been there in the wood pile the whole time and i couldn't see him.What would you do for a set up.I plan on starting there and seting up right on the corner that the birds are always at(morning or evening).[/align]

Deleted User 04-25-2008 11:13 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

BROX 04-25-2008 11:17 AM

RE: Turkey set-up opinion NEEDED

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

You're hunting out of a blind to start, correct ?
Yes sorry forgot to mention that!

GMMAT 04-25-2008 11:32 AM

I am a turkey hunting STOOGE.:D

OK....I'm watching this one, intently. I am in the exact same situation for tomorrow.

BROX 04-25-2008 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I am a turkey hunting STOOGE.:D

OK....I'm watching this one, intently. I am in the exact same situation for tomorrow.
Well then we'd both get USsome answers if a turkey EXPERT would answer this!:D

Rob/PA Bowyer 04-25-2008 11:40 AM

Assuming Brox is bowhunting and for Jeff,

one of two things have to happen and I know Jeff isn't going to like the later, one, you need to visually stimulate your gobbler to come into bow range or why else would he be close to your blind except for a well positioned ambush, or two, you need to call them in and still call when they are insight of the blind but not close enough for a shot. Now the later with no decoy is tough because a gobbler will know exactly where that call is coming from, he looks, he sees no hen, may or may not pay more attention to your blind however, he's not likely to come any closer to something he cannot see.

I'm not a big fan of decoys however for bowhunting, they are pretty much mandatory unless your ambushing them.

BROX 04-25-2008 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

one of two things have to happen and I know Jeff isn't going to like the later, one, you need to visually stimulate your gobbler to come into bow range or why else would he be close to your blind except for a well positioned ambush, or two, you need to call them in and still call when they are insight of the blind but not close enough for a shot. Now the later with no decoy is tough because a gobbler will know exactly where that call is coming from, he looks, he sees no hen, may or may not pay more attention to your blind however, he's not likely to come any closer to something he cannot see.

I'm not a big fan of decoys however for bowhunting, they are pretty much mandatory unless your ambushing them.
Yes i am bow hunting and i purred to him when he got close so he would look at the decoys! Ihave a total of two hens and a jake should i use all of them?

GMMAT 04-25-2008 11:43 AM

I have no problem with that. I'll take mine......and take my chances.

I'm just a little perplexed at why I haven't had a single bird (gobbler OR hen) commit to my deke this year.

Brknarrow1970 04-25-2008 11:50 AM

your deke isn't sexy enough Jeff, put some lipstick on it

MN/Kyle 04-25-2008 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: BROX

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Yes i am bow hunting and i purred to him when he got close so he would look at the decoys! Ihave a total of two hens and a jake should i use all of them?
This would be a good senario. You could set up a hen, and a jake as a breeding pair with a lone hen, watching the action. I haven't tried it THIS way. Upon thinking about it, a turkey might try and call the lone nasty watching hen, his way. In the wild, the hens are supposed to go to the tom, not the other way around. If you can get your hands on another jake, I'd use a breeding pair, and make the other jake watch the action.