HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   2 blade or 4? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/243754-2-blade-4-a.html)

hoyt919 04-24-2008 10:51 PM

2 blade or 4?

I am going to buy some magnus stinger broadheads to use this year and I wondered 2 blades or 4? I shoot a Hoyt Trykon at 57# with 28 in Easton St Epic arrows. I just wondered is that enough for 4 blades or would 2 be better for my setup? And which is better for whitetails?

GMMAT 04-25-2008 04:56 AM

RE: 2 blade or 4?

I'll be watching this with interest, too. I'm looking for a head for my traditional arrows.

OneMustFall 04-25-2008 05:58 AM

Thats one thing about those 2 blade stingers they fly great,guy used them at the proshop he said they were great heads but didnt leave a blood trail.But that wouldnt stop me from using them,they sharpen up great too, fly true///////////.

mobow 04-25-2008 06:14 AM

4. Those bleeder blades give that much more cutting surface, and they're small enough to not hinder penetration enough to matter. Cutting surface is important, and more is normally better. And since the cutting diameter of a 2 and 4 blade stinger is the same......it's just no question in my book. And they fly absolutely straight. They're incredible.

Jeff, in the case of you shooting them w/ trad gear......I dunno. I don't have any experience with trad, so I'm not sure how the other blades could, or even would, hinder penetration at all. I doubt that they would enough to matter.

For easy math, let's say a deer is 10" wide. If you're shooting a broadhead w/ a 1" cutting diameter, and that head is a 2 blade, you're getting 10" of cutting surface. Now, let's take a4 blade Stinger. To that 10" cutting surface, we must add the two 1/4" bleeder blades. So add another 5" of cutting surface. You know have 15" of cut instead of 10.

BobCo19-65 04-25-2008 06:53 AM

If I were you, I'd use the bleeders. I like the smallness of the bleeders used in the Stingers. They are rather small compared to other heads. But IMO, they will leave a better blood trail from you then the two. Considering your setup, I wouldn't worry much about any penetration problems, and they are sharp out of the pack.

Brknarrow1970 04-25-2008 06:56 AM

2 or 3 years ago I used the magnus buzzcuts - I used the 4 blades and had excellent blood trails - took six deer with them and all shots were pass throughs as well- based on my experince I would say the 4 blade and I would give a hard look at the buzzcuts

MC Bowhunter 04-25-2008 07:28 AM

4 blade!
The more cutting surface the better. They will leave a bigger holeand should fly great.

hoyt919 04-25-2008 09:27 AM

Alright guys 4 blades it is! thanks for all of the info. Might even try those buzzcuts. The regular stingers would sharpen easier, but whatdo the buzzcuts give youin additional benefits?

Schultzy 04-25-2008 09:30 AM

Go with the 3 blade Magnus Snuffer 1 1/4 or 1 5/16 cutting diameter. More cutting diameter and its a mean head. I get pass throughs on 90% to 95% of my animals and I'm shooting a recurve. Trust me you will like them. Shoot a few of them once and see how they fly for you and if they make any noise in flight. If all checks out well I'd go with them if I was you. All the Magnus heads I think are good heads, just some have bigger cutting diameter's then the others.

Geronimo 04-25-2008 09:32 AM

I have used the 2 blade Nugent Blade from Magnus and they cut through a deer like butter!