Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ? For the guys using copper john >

? For the guys using copper john

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

? For the guys using copper john

Old 04-23-2008, 09:12 AM

Default ? For the guys using copper john

I recently bought a 2008 model copper johns dn2 supreme sight. it is extremely well made and has 3rd axis adjustment. I really like the sight, but it doesn't look like i can use it on my gto, the pins won't get close enough to each other. The pin design looks to be a bad idea. they have wide bases that run into each other. to be honest i can't image using it on a bow over 275fps, if you want 20,30,40,50 yard pins.my first pin is set at 20, but my next pin is set at 36yards! do to the bad pin design. i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with this sight on a speed bow? right now i have set my pin at 20 yards 2inch high and also use it for the 30yard pin, which is about 1in low. i have owned TR,cobra,extreme and several others in the past and never had this problem before. what do you guys think
Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? For the guys using copper john

Can't say I entirely like their pin design as well. I'll know for sure here in a little while once I move my DN2 Comp to my 101st. However, my pin gap is wide enough at this point shooting 265fps on my CR334, that I doubt I will run out of adjustment for my 101st. The supreme doesn't have the dovetail bar mount though that the Comp has so you won't be able to slide it in/out to change the pin gapping.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:12 AM

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY HAVE SUCH WIDE PIN BASES...
Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot for copper john and have never had any issues with pin gapping on any of their sights. On the supreme model there should be two micro adjustment rods for the pins. in other words two tracks that sit apart so you can but the one pin from the far track directly against the pin on the close track for zero pin gapping.Are the sight pins set up so the closest track has a pin at the top and the next pin down is on the other track? The pins should alternate between the 2 tracks( close track, far track, close track, far track) if they dont then something is wrong in denmark! Can you post up a pic?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:00 PM

PINS ARE ON DIFFERENT TRACKS, I WILL POST A PIC AS SOON AS I GET HOME. ON MINE, THERE IS NO WAY FOR ZERO GAP UNLESS MINE IS JUST MADE DIFFERENT. IF THERE WAS A WAY TO PUSH THE SECOND MICRO ADJUST MENT BACK THEN IT MIGHT WORK, BUT I DON'T THINK THAT IS POSSIBLE IS IT?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WVSPORTSMAN

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY HAVE SUCH WIDE PIN BASES...
Like Dan said, the pins are (should be) setup so the pins alternate tracks (every other pin is on the same track). The micro-adjust works as a threaded rod running through a threaded hold in the pin base. To the best of my knowledge, I would assume the bases are thick because it allows them to get a higher thread count in the pin base hole to provide a more secure contact with the threaded rod.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I own the CJ DeadNuts 2 Comp and WVSportsman is right you cannot get zero pin gap on that sight. While the design of having staggered pins on separate adjustment rods should allow it the design of the pins themselves prevents it. The reach a point where when they get thicker toward the housing those part touch and don't allow any more adjustment. You can get them fairly close, but not zero pin gap.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM

I glad i'm not the only one...but mine are not really that close.....i can't believe the amount of money spent on that thing....nicest paper weight i own.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:29 AM

AS YOU CAN SEE THE BASES ARE REALLY WIDE. THE TOP TWO ARE PUSHED TOGETHER AND IT'S NO WHERE CLOSE TO ZERO GAP! I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER COPPER JOHN PRODUCT. THIS IS A $150 SIGHT, I EXPECTED A BETTER DESIGN.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WVSPORTSMAN

AS YOU CAN SEE THE BASES ARE REALLY WIDE. THE TOP TWO ARE PUSHED TOGETHER AND IT'S NO WHERE CLOSE TO ZERO GAP! I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER COPPER JOHN PRODUCT. THIS IS A $150 SIGHT, I EXPECTED A BETTER DESIGN.
Can't see the pictures here at work. How long have you had it? Most likely wherever you bought it from you can return it still. Problem solved. I'm not sure there's much they could do to the bases given the way they micro-adjust, but there might be some other way.

Check out the Viper line of sights. No micro-adjustable pins, but you still have 3rd axis adjustment. Didn't look at Rob's pin design very closely, but from what I did see, zero pin gap can probably be achieved with his sight.

Quick Reply: ? For the guys using copper john

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.