HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Question on strategy.....setting up at night (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/242777-question-strategy-setting-up-night.html)

GMMAT 04-17-2008 10:28 AM

Question on strategy.....setting up at night

I know where we'll be hunting in the morning. It's a GREAT woodlot that the birds converge on after fly-down. Would it make any sense to go in there in the pitch black, tonight.....and go ahead and set up our blind? My thought is.....if we make a "little" noise in there this evening (but not enough to spook any close birds already on the roost).....they'll have all night to settle back down before the morning hunt.

Whatcha think? Anyone ever do this?

Germ 04-17-2008 10:41 AM

RE: Question on strategy.....setting up at night

That is what I do;)

GMMAT 04-17-2008 10:47 AM

Nice avatar!:D

GregH 04-17-2008 10:50 AM

I'd set up my blind and things around noon when I was sure they weren't around, then sneak in quietly in the dark of morning.

GMMAT 04-17-2008 10:56 AM

Greg:

This woodlot holds turkeys all day long. I was in there at 2:00 on Saturday.....and they were all over the place (5-7 gobblers in there). We want to be in there in the morning.....so it's either go in tonight....or wait and go in tomorrow morning. I was just thinking to myself that the night would be LESS of a chance of spooking them.....and even if we did a "little".....they'd settle down by morning.....when we could set up much more quietly.

I think they're in that woodlot right now.;)

Edit** So eveyone knows....we are allowed to hunt all day, here.

ICALL2MUCH 04-17-2008 11:00 AM

My experiences have been if you get in early enough (1-1.5 hours before first light) that you can get as close as you want, if you are quite. I would think that if you set up a blind semi-quietly that there would be no problem. Good luck!

HuntingBry 04-17-2008 11:02 AM

Jeff, we set up on Saturday less than 100 yards from a bird that was roosted out in front of us and he pitched down right after first light and came in. This was only the second time Lyle had set up the blind and the first time in the dark so he had some issues and made a little more noise than he would have liked, but it didn't seem to cause any issues.

So, late at night or early in the morning you should be fine. Can't wait to hear how you guys do.

GMMAT 04-17-2008 11:02 AM

This is a funny little woodlot. I'll try to post a pic.

We'd need to set up "just" north of my (plan) upper most NE stand I have shown. They use this area all day long. They also roost in there and in the woods on the lower end west of my SE most stand site noted.

Diesel77 04-17-2008 11:04 AM

Haha Gary you clown!! That pic/avatar just made me crack up again. Imagine if you dozed off in that blind and woke up to that face staring at you.

Jeff, I dont use blinds so I couldnt answer your question bud. I would think Gregs idea is pretty good.

GMMAT 04-17-2008 11:09 AM

I'll try anything, Greg/Andy.....but if I went in in mid day (I can do this easily enough.....and hunt this woodlot Saturday instead)....don't I risk being seen? I know I wouldn't be seen at night by a turkey.

Just asking!