Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What caliber of whitetail do you foresee as a solid possibility in your future? >

What caliber of whitetail do you foresee as a solid possibility in your future?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What caliber of whitetail do you foresee as a solid possibility in your future?

Old 04-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What caliber of whitetail do you foresee as a solid possibility in your future?

What I am asking here..... What caliber ofbuck (whitetail) do you feel you will get a crack at one day from stand? This is not ahow big are your local bucks type of question.... But what do you feel you have a legitimate shot at taking one day in your hunting areas? [/align][/align]Maybe you have taken a true slammer (for your area) and don't feel you will have the opportunity to up it???[/align][/align]I don't think this is an easy question to answer as it is pure speculation..... I would however like to hear your answers.... [/align][/align][/align][/align]For of an idea of what I am looking for here.....[/align][/align]I feel I will have the shot opportunity to one daytake a 180 class buck, although I have aspirations to one day come "face to face" with a 200+ class whitetail.[/align][/align]Will it happen???? Who knows but I feel I can put myself in that situation.... Time will tell![/align][/align]Elaborate if you will...[/align]
Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What caliber of whitetail do you foresee as a solid possibility in your future?

150" class

That is my realistic goal. They are rare, but they exist. To expect anything higher, would really take an enormous amount of luck. Even at this, it may take me another 10 years to get a crack at one, but I think I can reach it.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What caliber of whitetail do you foresee as a solid possibility in your future?

I go to the Edmonton Bow Zone each Nov, so Ihonestly believe I'll get a giant some where along the line. I hope to get one in the 170'' class, and I don't think that's unrealistic.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

135 to 170 class would be very possible in my area and I would be overwhelmed to harvest a whitetail of that class. I know if I keep hunting I will come face to face with this and the moment of truth will be there, hopefully I can keep it all together when it happens. I have been close but no cigar.[8D]
Old 04-16-2008, 04:48 PM

Around NC I would say 120"-130" will be realistic, but I do plan on making several trips back home to Indiana hunting the same areas I use to. So in those ares 180"-200"+. Also plan on some guided hunts that could produce monsters, Alberta, and ect.

SMITDOG, I notice you have honest abe as your Avatar? You into coonhounds?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have never guessed I'd have a 150" whitetail walk off public ground to me so I GUESS anything is possible. REALISTICALLY? Where I hunt I would have expected at some point to cross paths with a 130"ish buck. I honestly felt that would be upper end for my immediate hunting area because of the outright hammering that goes on in rifle season.
I still figure I could tag another buck at least 130" there but I won't hold my breath either and that's doing everything right.

In Illinois where Greg and I hunt? Man anything IS possible there. Greg has taken a 163" buck and we saw a 200"+ buck another hunter took in the immediate area.
We hunt it hard, and we hunt it correctly and as we refine our techniques and stand locations there's no doubt in my mind there are other 150-160" bucks waiting for us there.
I sincerely believe I'll shoot a buck over 160" there at some point in the next 10yrs. A booner is a VERY real possibility for either of us at any time.
It's not west Central Illinois style hunting but the genetics are there , we just need a touch of luck to go with our hard and smart hunting.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a dreamer, call me nuts, but maybe that world record will illude me but I certainly plan/expect to take some megabucks in my future.

If I one day come to own as much land as I'd like, then for certain I plan to take 170"+ typicals and 230"+ non-typicals. And maybe a truly monster will be mixed in with those at some point. Though you know if my dad, or son etc...takes a monster, that's like taking it myself so who knows.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that on our property in Minnesota, I have a chance at a 150"class swamp buckl, someday. That is the problem, they are all in the swamp. When they aren't, it's rut, and the family is out with the rifles.

Where I hunt in MT every year, with the potential here, I could get a crack at 180" whitetail. The week I'm there isn't a lot of time to get it done, but it can happen.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

one day take a 180 class buck, although I have aspirations to one day come "face to face" with a 200+ class whitetail. Will it happen???? Who knows but I feel I can put myself in that situation.... Time will tell!
same-sies...
Old 04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cool thread Scott. I think a 180" buck is a possibility with me where I hunt. I know there here, heck there's bigger then that around here. Anythings possible.

Quick Reply: What caliber of whitetail do you foresee as a solid possibility in your future?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.