Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe? >

Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe?

Old 04-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe?

Ok guys,can I get your advice onmethodand recipefor baiting the spring blackies. I won't be able to get into my spot and stalk honeyhole until mid to late May, bear season opened yesterday and I'd like to put a bait in this weekend near my home for some close to home bear bowhunting!

Thanks in advance and by all means throw some bear pix in with your info! I am amp'd about bear hunting, it just grows on me more and more every year.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe?

WOW when I went to New Brunswick they used Donuts in some barrels and rotten meat in other barrels One other thing go out and get a bunch of bacon cook it in alot of oil and throw that in to! They love bacon and grease!!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Yep they like the sweet stuff. You need to hang something like carp or something so the smell will get there attention.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use all sorts of stuff.

I use doughnuts and rolls that I buy in bulk from the local bakery. I get all the old stuff for 6$ a box. I use chocolate syrup, and cover the rolls. I also get gummy candy in bulk, along with candy corn. I also get some bear mix that is "blueberrys and creme" at Gander MTN. I dump all of this next to a tree 20 yrds from my stand. I then cover them up with HEAVY logs, so that a coon can't move them, only the bear.

I spray some HICKORY smoke scent all along the trails that they will walk to the bait on and really stink up the place the first day I put the bait out. My mom saves greese and I dump that along the trails too. The bears step in it, and bring scent to other bears.
http://www.bearscents.com/bearscents.html

I'll post pics when I go home this weekend from college, I have a pic with 5 bear on the bait at once.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

There's allot of ways Troy a person could go about it. Here's exactly what I do and use, this way works for me anyway. I use meat scraps that I get from the local butcher shop, bakery goods are awesome if you can find some, molasses, lots and lots of grease, liquid smoke- doesn't last a long time but its an excellent cover scent when hunting, code blue scents- just used them last year for the 1st time and love them!! A month or so prior to bear baiting I'll go and catch a bunch of bull heads and throw them in a black 5 gallon pail. I only fill the pail half full of whole fish and I then fill the pail half full of water and put a lid on it and let it sit in the sun and start fermenting. Keep it away from the house being the wife won't like the smell of it. I use this stuff right away the 1st week i start baiting being it works excellent for an attractant, put some of the liquid in a ice cream pale and start flinging it all over on the outside part of the bait, keep it out of the good stuff. Like Kyle said at the bait site when you put your meat and other stuff on the ground make sure you put big logs on them so the wolves or the yote's don't knock them off. Make sure you stack your logs nice and neat so you know exactly how they look when you go and check the bait the next time you check it. Allot of the times a big bear will hardly even move the pile when he is at the bait, then the next time he's pulls the whole thing out of the way, you just never know. I also hang meat in a tree in a gunny sack (burlap) about 7 to 9 feet or so to see what size of bear we have hitting the bait. The more claw marks on the tree the smaller the bear, less marks on the tree the bigger the bear. Put a good gallon or so of grease and molasses around the bait so they walk in it and spread it around the woods for other bear to pick up on. Also if you decide to use some sort of liquid scent like code blue that i use spray it all over the baiting area on the ground, in the tree's, anywhere you can. Throw a camera or a string timer up too if you have one to see when the bear is hitting the bait also. Mornings or evenings can very with some bear. When putting a stand up or setting up a ground blind try and stay on the opposite side where the bear generally comes in. Allot of times though it don't matter being they come in from the down wind direction anyway. In Minnesota we have so many people hunting in the same area that we follow that rule allot, you probably wouldn't have to worry as much. You can also buy sterno's that you can do some small burns with while your hunting. You can burn honey, bacon grease, anything for that matter that would put a smell out while your hunting. Another thing too while your hunting bring some liquid smoke or some kind of liquid scent and spray it where you are hunting. If your in a tree spray it all over in the tree, if your on the ground do it there. Its a good cover scent. Good luck you lucky SOB!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also if you decide to use some sort of liquid scent like code blue that i use spray it all over the baiting area on the ground, in the tree's, anywhere you can.

to go along with what steve said, I like to soak some old towls in the scent (hickory smoke) and hang them all around the bait, and down trails. It will hold the scent longer.

Good luck you lucky SOB!!!

And yeah, good luck. We have to wait until sept.[&o]

Also, I like to rake around the bait, and sometimes even haul in some sand.The printsgive me an idea of the size of bear hitting the bait,before or after I have my cam up.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Bartender

Steve when I finally draw a bear permit you best be ready to be my Guide buddly ol pal!
ORIGINAL: Schultzy

There's allot of ways Troy a person could go about it. Here's exactly what I do and use, this way works for me anyway. I use meat scraps that I get from the local butcher shop, bakery goods are awesome if you can find some, molasses, lots and lots of grease, liquid smoke- doesn't last a long time but its an excellent cover scent when hunting, code blue scents- just used them last year for the 1st time and love them!! A month or so prior to bear baiting I'll go and catch a bunch of bull heads and throw them in a black 5 gallon pail. I only fill the pail half full of whole fish and I then fill the pail half full of water and put a lid on it and let it sit in the sun and start fermenting. Keep it away from the house being the wife won't like the smell of it. I use this stuff right away the 1st week i start baiting being it works excellent for an attractant, put some of the liquid in a ice cream pale and start flinging it all over on the outside part of the bait, keep it out of the good stuff. Like Kyle said at the bait site when you put your meat and other stuff on the ground make sure you put big logs on them so the wolves or the yote's don't knock them off. Make sure you stack your logs nice and neat so you know exactly how they look when you go and check the bait the next time you check it. Allot of the times a big bear will hardly even move the pile when he is at the bait, then the next time he's pulls the whole thing out of the way, you just never know. I also hang meat in a tree in a gunny sack (burlap) about 7 to 9 feet or so to see what size of bear we have hitting the bait. The more claw marks on the tree the smaller the bear, less marks on the tree the bigger the bear. Put a good gallon or so of grease and molasses around the bait so they walk in it and spread it around the woods for other bear to pick up on. Also if you decide to use some sort of liquid scent like code blue that i use spray it all over the baiting area on the ground, in the tree's, anywhere you can. Throw a camera or a string timer up too if you have one to see when the bear is hitting the bait also. Mornings or evenings can very with some bear. When putting a stand up or setting up a ground blind try and stay on the opposite side where the bear generally comes in. Allot of times though it don't matter being they come in from the down wind direction anyway. In Minnesota we have so many people hunting in the same area that we follow that rule allot, you probably wouldn't have to worry as much. You can also buy sterno's that you can do some small burns with while your hunting. You can burn honey, bacon grease, anything for that matter that would put a smell out while your hunting. Another thing too while your hunting bring some liquid smoke or some kind of liquid scent and spray it where you are hunting. If your in a tree spray it all over in the tree, if your on the ground do it there. Its a good cover scent. Good luck you lucky SOB!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve I was hoping you would chime in....thank guys, this is great stuff, tips and pointers, method etc...many options for me to mull over and consider...

Do you guys use bait barrelsor not? Kyle, Steve?

I know there are a few more veteran bear hunters surfing this site, I am looking forward to hearing more

Old 04-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: peakrut

Steve when I finally draw a bear permit you best be ready to be my Guide buddly ol pal!
ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Perfect!! I'll go deer hunting while your out bear hunting in the evenings and mornings. Thats if deer hunting is open then in your state during bear season. Anytime T either way, you know I love doing this stuff.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

Steve I was hoping you would chime in....thank guys, this is great stuff, tips and pointers, method etc...many options for me to mull over and consider...

Do you guys use bait barrelsor not? Kyle, Steve?

I know there are a few more veteran bear hunters surfing this site, I am looking forward to hearing more
No barrels for me. Just the logs on top.

Which reminds me of another tip. I usually put out a measured log near the bait where the bear will be standing, and also another mark on the tree so I get a better judgement on how big he is. They are one of the hardest animals to field judge IMO.

Quick Reply: Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.