Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe? >

Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe?

ORIGINAL: _Dan

First, I believe that the amount of bait you use is as important as what you use. If at all possible, I will only use 5 gallons per day and bait every day. This way it creates a competition for the bait and brings the older big boars out before dark. I also run every bait in the same pattern each day....same time and in the same order. This way the bears know when to expect food and develop a routine. I also make a lot of noise while baiting, as well as drive right to a lot of the bait sites with my quad. I believe this gives them a chance to leave the bait before they see me.....if they hear me, fine....if they see me, I believe they may become nocturnal.
x2 on both.

Good Points.

I drive my quad to the bait, and even when I'm going to hunt it drive it away and walk in. Then it is a waiting game, usually they come in like clockwork, same time every night, starting with the sows and cubs.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good stuff Dan!! You and I bait allot alike. I know I got more to add but my mind isn't all there today.[8D]
Old 04-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

You guys are making me hungry

I wish PA had a spring bear season. But boy would that make me REALLY busy. Trout & turkeys are enough as is.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

First, I believe that the amount of bait you use is as important as what you use. If at all possible, I will only use 5 gallons per day and bait every day. This way it creates a competition for the bait and brings the older big boars out before dark. I also run every bait in the same pattern each day....same time and in the same order. This way the bears know when to expect food and develop a routine. I also make a lot of noise while baiting, as well as drive right to a lot of the bait sites with my quad. I believe this gives them a chance to leave the bait before they see me.....if they hear me, fine....if they see me, I believe they may become nocturnal.
x2 on both.

Good Points.

I drive my quad to the bait, and even when I'm going to hunt it drive it away and walk in. Then it is a waiting game, usually they come in like clockwork, same time every night, starting with the sows and cubs.
Right on Kyle, good way to do it when you are alone. Usually, its me taking a client out and I leave an atv 300 yards from the stand and drive them all the way in. That way, to the bear, its the same ol routine. Usually bears show up within 30 minutes of my leaving.....and its very common for me to be driving away and the hunter can see me leaving and a bear coming.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Good stuff Dan!! You and I bait allot alike. I know I got more to add but my mind isn't all there today.[8D]
I do as well....but mine is gone too!

Here's one more. I know guys were talking about using rotten meat and meat in general. From my experience, the only rotten meat a bear will eat is beaver. They love the castor (sp) oil. As for fish, the only fish I would use is salmon.......and they're a long ways from me! I never use meat or fish.....don't need to.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know guys were talking about using rotten meat and meat in general. From my experience, the only rotten meat a bear will eat is beaver. They love the castor (sp) oil.
Yep, They'll eat Beaver in any state they can get it

I've seen them eat rotten meat, but as I said before they definitely don't prefer it. The fresher the better!!

Dan
Old 04-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

About the only thing I can add to whats already been said is,that if I know Icant getback to bait a spot befor they finish off a bait pile, I will take a hand drill with a 1" bitt and drill a bunch of holes in hard downed trees and fill the holes with powdered jello, pie filling, cake frosting, honeyor something along those lines to keep them coming into the site, but this is more of a pre season thing.
If your packing the bait a long ways (even if its a short walk) and there is a slaughter house by you, you cant hardly beat cracklings, light weight and the bears love em.
The cheapest is probably old bread and molasses mix from the local feed store unless you have been collecting stuff for months.But Im sure you already know what your gonna use.
Since season is in already, just worry about getting one or 2 good baits out,I would spend my time looking for good sign, scent posts, rubs and things of this nature where you have a better chance of getting your bait hit the first night.
And a good long distance scent lure!
My setups look like Dans, If its leagal where your at, I like to put a 5 gallon buckett in the ground and a 2 1/2 or 3' X 3' pice of louvered steelwith a large rock on top of it, they can still smell it and it keeps the varmints out.
Man this has sure given me the bug, wish I was out there hunting with Ya.
Good luck Troy, Hope you stick a big one.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

We cannot bait in my home state so I don't have experience in this area other than what I have read in books and magazine articles and forums such as ours.I have read a book by Dr.Ken Nordberg about bear hunting where he devotes a lot of time to discussing baiting.All the things that have already mentioned for the most part mirror his writings.He does mention the use of watermelon as being something they are highly attracted to.He doesn't use it as his primary bait but as a positioning bait with bacon strips hanging over a branch.
We have had garbage problems with bears in the past and I have noticed that when their were watermelon rinds in the garbage that they would clean them until the rind was very thin.
In that Cameron Hanes book Troy their is a recipe for Bear Crack that he seemingly swears by.I have an interest in hunting bears kind of more on purpose than accidentally as has it has been in the past,so I have an interest in any scent related non bait itemsthat folks have used,liquid smoke,anise,vanilla,the code blue lure that Schultzy mentioned,we have a pretty decent bear population and I would like to go after them quite a bit more aggressively.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely awesome info guys,this is one I will print out and take notes on...and that pix for a visualis perfect Dan, thanks! great stuff for my close to home set up....

Silver, let me know if you ever want to come out, your welcome at my bear camp anytime. Need to get you and Steve out here some Spring.. Dan you too.. you know that.. I have invited many guys out for bear, only had one come and he killed a beautiful red chocolate color phase..

One other noteI would like to hear you guy's take on.....My honey-hole bear spot which is a good month away from being able to access. It's in the high country...land of the biggestboars I have killed thus far...(a 19 14/16, 19 1/16 and 18 6/8) I have never baited it and I honestly think it would be insane in there if I ever did. There was a HUGE color phase in there that I had to check over very carefully to make sure he wasnt a griz... anyway I have had no luck on catching him but right at last light the pastthree springs...and its always been from across the canyon glassing.. Before he gets to old and dies on me, I would consider trying to pack a bait into this steep "backpack" only area...

I was wondering what you guys would adjust or tweak with your bait or set up...if you wereforced to pack a bait into a remote area (1 mile hike steep and thickly timbered...and you can only access it on the weekends?????The set up wouldhave to go in onmypackframe .....??? I can pack about 80 lbs max..Yes I could spot and stock bear with my bow in there but not abear that wont show himself till the very last light.. I am just thinking outloud and considering baiting the place as well, or would it be worth it??? Would there be any negative side effects to an already "NATURAL" great placethat attracts bears... I have always worried that a hound hunter would find a bait in there and get on my bears easier???

Old 04-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never packed any bait in, anywhere. And I have no idea about the negative effect, such as the hound hunters and what not...but if you WERE to bring in bait:

A5gal pail of rolls, or doughnuts wouldn't be extremly heavy. A bottle of scent spray, and maybe a jug of jelly or mollases should be enough.I'd spray the area down, really, really good.

But I'm sure these guys will add something.

Quick Reply: Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.