Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Black Bear Broadhead >

Black Bear Broadhead

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Black Bear Broadhead

Old 04-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Black Bear Broadhead

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Personally I would shoot fixed....but thats another thread. 70# is more than enough. A black bear will die quicker and easier than a deer will, if shot properly.
Dan hit the nail on the head. MeanV also did as well. I've used COC fixed blades on all my bear I've shot. I've never had an issue with a fixed blade on any bear I've shot.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Personally I would shoot fixed....but thats another thread. 70# is more than enough. A black bear will die quicker and easier than a deer will, if shot properly.
Dan hit the nail on the head. MeanV also did as well. I've used COC fixed blades on all my bear I've shot. I've never had an issue with a fixed blade on any bear I've shot.

Exactly, I don't see a need to shoot an expandable....most shots will be close.

Robin is semi-correct.....there isn't much to a bear under the skin, but he forgot to mention how thick the fat can be and how easily it can plug a hole. Not to mention the long hair a bear has, it CAN make tracking blood tougher.

If you were to use an expandable I would only use one designed like the Rage or Snyper.....sorry Michigan, I won't let someone use a Spitfire type head in my camp. If there is only an entrance hole, there could be almost zero blood with that type of head.....too small of an entrance.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I took my bear with a Muzzy however if the outfitter would allow, I'd have no quams using my RM Snypers nor your Rages. Black Bears are not as tough as people think. Although their hair is thicker than a whitetail, their hide is actually thinner. Any broadhead or bow set up adequate for deer is adequate for bears.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Exactly, I don't see a need to shoot an expandable....most shots will be close.

Robin is semi-correct.....there isn't much to a bear under the skin, but he forgot to mention how thick the fat can be and how easily it can plug a hole. Not to mention the long hair a bear has, it CAN make tracking blood tougher.

If you were to use an expandable I would only use one designed like the Rage or Snyper.....sorry Michigan, I won't let someone use a Spitfire type head in my camp. If there is only an entrance hole, there could be almost zero blood with that type of head.....too small of an entrance.
In all honesty some of my bloodtrails have been terrible with double lung hits!! I use to shoot 2 blade COC fixed blades with razor inserts. Like Dan said the holes get plugged up with fat being some of these bear will have anywhere from an inch to 6 inches of fat under there hides. For this reason I went to a 3 blade head COC fixed blade the last 10 years and my blood trails have gotten a little better. The distance the bear traveled after the shot has decreased in half if put in the right spot. 30 to 50 Yards is a common distance for me now after I switched BH's. Some of my blood trails are awesome with lots of blood, then the next is so so. It really depends on the amount of fat the bear has and also if you can get 2 holes.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of fat and thick hair. I like a large fixed Broadhead.
The one in the picture is a 165gr Thunderhead, but am also fond of the Big Snuffer.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:26 AM

2 Bladed RAGE
Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am with shultzy dan and silver on this one.. I've shot them perfect double lung with fixed coc heads and they still dontbleed a lot especially the Fall bears.... they bleed, but nothing like an elk or whitetail shot in the same fashion..

COC, fixed large cutting diameter..
Old 04-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Lots of fat and thick hair. I like a large fixed Broadhead.
The one in the picture is a 165gr Thunderhead, but am also fond of the Big Snuffer.
I shot my 1st Bear with a 180 grain Thunderhead.

Dan
Old 04-15-2008, 09:48 AM
JT
Spike

Thanks everyone! I may leave my Rage in the quiver for the WI whitetail and look at fixed for the trip. What is COC?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: JT

What is COC?
Cut on Contact.