Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How does hunting "spring Gobbler" go in the cold? >

How does hunting "spring Gobbler" go in the cold?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How does hunting "spring Gobbler" go in the cold?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How does hunting "spring Gobbler" go in the cold?

Supposed to be in the 30's tommorrow throughout the morning with a chance of rain/snow... how will the birds act, will they move more or less, responsive to calls or not? I know there all different, but is there a General consensus of how they act when its been fairly warm and now turning cold?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:58 PM

Default RE: How does hunting "spring Gobbler" go in the cold?

if its been warm and they are already fired up, in my experience they wont stop due to a few days bad weather. This morning was high 30s, sleeting and snowing here and they were gobbling more than ever. We watched 2 birds strut out in the open for 25 minutes before they left sight. They will still cooperate, if you talk to them the right way.

They do seem to stay on roost alot longer though. Some didnt pitch out until nearly 8 this morning.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

well my brother killed one yesterday, in gusting winds, 40 degrees, and they gobbled like crazy. i killed one today, in 35 degrees, light snow/sleet. gobbled like crazy, came right to the calls. they are hard after the hens here though. most of the time, they are less vocal in the colder weather though, not always the case.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Turkeys are still turkeys in the cold or the warm. They may slow some, may not be as vocal when it's colder per warmer but they are still turkeys and it's their time. If it rains and you have fields, frequent them or set up in them. Turkeys love open areas when it's raining.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer
If it rains and you have fields, frequent them or set up in them. Turkeys love open areas when it's raining.
Great Advice!!

Dan
Old 04-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Well they may stay on the roost a little longer... but turkeys are going to do their thing. Heck, the gobblers up here were strutting and trying to find a hot hen with 3 feet of snow on the ground a month ago. Your only problem will be they may sit on the roost a little longer and not be so vocal. Our season doesn't open for another 17 days. You think you got problems... up here they're still all flocked up big time in their winter mode. It's either they're in your woods or they all moved where you can't hunt. I've been following a flock of 15 for a week. They've moved a mile away and seem happy. I might not beable to hear a bird opening day.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

davidmil- im kinda in the same boat... im hutning a new peace that i seen turkeys on back in deer season, who knows what the morning holds, but if i dont get in bed Ill never know
Old 04-14-2008, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

could shut them down...but ive seen alot of odd things in the turkey woods...seen them shut down on beautiful days and hammer on pretty nasty days...only way i know to tell is to go hunting and find out....some of my best hunts have been on cold wet days...made me wish i was at home under the covers still....till they started hammering and coming in on a string...then you dont even realize its raining or you were shivering 15 minutes earlier!!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:53 AM
bigcountry

I found out as long as thier is open ground, they still will feed but not call as much. Going down to 30 is nothing. Last yeat, there was 1ft of snow on the ground, and they were still calling. They hit the open spots of bare grass in the fields.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

i had to hunt in this this weekend and ....it sucked bigtime,all the birds stayed in the big woods and did not gobble, in fact i didnt see one bird when i usually see 40 to 50!

Quick Reply: How does hunting "spring Gobbler" go in the cold?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.