Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Disappointed in "Whitetail Freaks" tv. >

Disappointed in "Whitetail Freaks" tv.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Disappointed in "Whitetail Freaks" tv.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Disappointed in "White Freaks" tv.

For the record, too......

The shooter never claimed he made a good shot. He simply said "he's down" when the deer went down (presumably in sight).

The man shot a deer that went down in sight. He took a broadside shot.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Justin, Jeff, I stated right off the bat that he took a good shot that went wrong. I'm simply very disappointed they didn't bring it to light either the shooter, Lee or the editor I could care less, it was a horrible lucky shot that should have been addressed. I really think it sent a wrong message. Had I been the shooter, I would insisted that they not edit it out. It was simple, "I took a very good shot but it turned out poor, the deer went down quickly but it's not a shot I would have taken, I'm glad it turned out the way it did.". End of story, humble pie, move on. No lynch mob necessary, just one disappointed bowhunter on a poorly edited video. IMO.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

For the record I have seen a hunter do this with a Cross Bow I ask gramps "Where you aiming at his throat", Gramps "nope, but the deer's dead"[&:]

Justin I am not sure, becuase I did not watch the show, but I thought this was his second bad shot. He had a complete whiff on the first buck, and from what I read that one was not even close.

Like I said, don't know, anyone?
Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's correct, his first shot was at a buck that IMO he should not have taken. The shot was pretty far, the buck was walking, and he didn't stop him. The arrow went about 6" over the deer' back directly above his paunch. Not a good situation, and like I said a shot that should not have been taken. I believe the comment about him being "glad" he missed was because the arrow was so far back. Had it been a few inches lower that would have been a gut shot deer.

And Rob, the hunter/cameraman usually has next to no pull in what gets edited and what doesn't. I agree that it was a bad shot, bad editing, and overall I don't care for the show either. I really don't learn anything I don't already know when I watch it.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why did they not just edit out the entire hunt/scene? I'm sure they had other hunts they could have used in it's place. I mean, if the guys did not want to eat their "humble pie" as Rob said, why not just trash it. I believe herein lies the problem. Someone got paid for a kill-shot and someone else delivered and would have been pissed if they did not use it on air. jmho

LT
Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Justin, Jeff, I stated right off the bat that he took a good shot that went wrong. I'm simply very disappointed they didn't bring it to light either the shooter, Lee or the editor I could care less, it was a horrible lucky shot that should have been addressed. I really think it sent a wrong message. Had I been the shooter, I would insisted that they not edit it out. It was simple, "I took a very good shot but it turned out poor, the deer went down quickly but it's not a shot I would have taken, I'm glad it turned out the way it did.". End of story, humble pie, move on. No lynch mob necessary, just one disappointed bowhunter on a poorly edited video. IMO.
Well put Rob. From what I can see in this whole thread no one was ripping the hunter all that much. Everyone was ripping the way "producers"or "actors" of the show edited it and handled it.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

I have no problem with a hunter making a bad shot, it happens. I didn't see the episode in question but all too often in other shows at least, the hunter is gloating over making a great shot when in fact the video shows a bad shot. At least it should be told or mentioned that is was not placed where he wanted it. Some of the best videos I've ever seen showed the hunter making a not so good shot but at least they acknowledged it.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Justin
And Rob, the hunter/cameraman usually has next to no pull in what gets edited and what doesn't. I agree that it was a bad shot, bad editing, and overall I don't care for the show either. I really don't learn anything I don't already know when I watch it.

Are you not capable of turning the channel? By continued watching you are supporting their (editors/ producers) bad choices. I mean if you don't learn anything and all...and you don't care for the show either...Hum? I have a remote so when crap comes on that I do not like or someone blows out another opinion I change the channel, poof problem solved....