Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Could you?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Could you?

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

I think the coldest I saw it this winter was about +15F and it typically bounces back and forth between 20 and 35 all winter. We did have an exceptional snow load this year; I had to shovel twice! The ocean keeps things pretty moderate along the coast. People forget that AK is a huge state with a lot of climate variation. But we do only get about 5 hours of light in the dead of winter.

Isnt Fairbanks 5-6 hrs off the coast? Yes Fairbanks had -40 and worse. I have never seen -40 here.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nvshooter

I would move to Alaska at the drop of a hat, so long as I had a good job to sustain me. There are plenty of other animals there to challenge me.
x2
Old 04-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll go the other way......

I wouldn't knowingly give up whitetail hunting......even if they said that was the only animal I could hunt from now on.....no matter where that was.

Ilove it that much.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT---I LOVE whitetail hunting, it is what I dream of on a daily basis. But to live in Alaska, and to be able to walk right out your backdoor into the least pressured habitat/most wildlife abundant soil in the US.....now that is a tough offer to refuse.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow
... to be able to walk right out your backdoor into the least pressured habitat/most wildlife abundant soil in the US.....now that is a tough offer to refuse.
Now that's funny stuff! There's a whole lot of barren wilderness without a living or breathing mammal to be seen for hundreds of miles. Game densities in VA are probably multitudes higher than any given place in AK of the same size. It's just that we get a larger variety of game, and a lot of it has never even seen a human.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

Pfft, I could give up deer for Alaskan critters any day. But how's the bowfishing up there???
Depends on how good you are at shooting pike.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:45 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I'd do it in a second. I love to hunt. I really don't have an overriding affinity for whitetails or any other game.