HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   white collar/blue collar... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/241863-white-collar-blue-collar.html)

Vabowman 04-11-2008 08:38 AM

white collar/blue collar...

We all know about the white collar and blue collar work force in this country, does this apply to deer hunting? If so, how? Would going on guided hunts be considered white collar? Public land be blue collar. Trophy hunting vs meat hunting?? I don't know if there is an answer, but I bet we can find out.

SwampCollie 04-11-2008 08:53 AM

RE: white collar/blue collar...

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

We all know about the white collar and blue collar work force in this country, does this apply to deer hunting? If so, how? Would going on guided hunts be considered white collar? Public land be blue collar. Trophy hunting vs meat hunting?? I don't know if there is an answer, but I bet we can find out.
It for damn sure applies to duck hunting!

Quite honestly here Landon, most of the white collar guys that I know only deer hunt casually and are really not all that picky. Reason being is they often don't have time to be. White collar is a full time job (of course that depends, but often they don't have set hours like some folks do). I know Rebeccas father, for example, didn't hunt a single time this past season except for three afternoons in Ohio (his childhood home) during Thanksgiving. He works for Northrop Grumman doing manpower/nuke poweranalyisis.... at least thats it on the surface....

Folks who only get to hunt a few times a year are often not terribly selective when it comes to deer. Infact if you look at it from an objective financial point, who knows how much money I spent on hunting last year? Probably well over $2500 just in fuel and ammenities... not counting equipment. Thats aLONGtrip to waterfowl hunt in Canada.Now deer hutning... that depends because you can sink a lot of money into that for an outfitter... but think about it.... isn't it smarter to spend $2500 once on a good bet to kill a decent buck, while having all the leg work taken care of.... so that you can spend more time at work making money? Because the one thing most white collar guys agree on is that time is money, and its precious and fleeting. So if you think about.... it might be smartand saavy in that situation to just book a hunt and get it overwith.

Personally I'd rather spend 30 days chasing them and count my blessings along the way.... quality is of course important..... but hunting to me is sort of like crack to junkie... it ain't about how good it is.. just that it is....

Vabowman 04-11-2008 09:11 AM

Andy you are right on about the duck hunting. I remember a few yrs back I was at a diner and finished eating and I was leaving the place and over in the banquet room there some sort of group meeting, I saw a bunch guys in there with DU stuff on and what not, so I strolled over and asked if they were having a DU meeting, and one guy spoke up and said no, we are having a VA waterfowl something or another meeting. He then asked if I was a duck hunter, I told him no, I was too busy chasing deer, he then said "deer, what's that?" and laughed and said he has no use for a deer... I said great!! one less yahoo to worry about for me!! then I told him I was j/k and moved on.

SwampCollie 04-11-2008 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Andy you are right on about the duck hunting. I remember a few yrs back I was at a diner and finished eating and I was leaving the place and over in the banquet room there some sort of group meeting, I saw a bunch guys in there with DU stuff on and what not, so I strolled over and asked if they were having a DU meeting, and one guy spoke up and said no, we are having a VA waterfowl something or another meeting. He then asked if I was a duck hunter, I told him no, I was too busy chasing deer, he then said "deer, what's that?" and laughed and said he has no use for a deer... I said great!! one less yahoo to worry about for me!! then I told him I was j/k and moved on.
Wasn't the Virginia Waterfowlers Association was it (VAWFA)?

If it was, depending on timeline then your definition of a "diner" might have to be checked out.... the early committee meetings were typically held at Hooters!

I am a member now and know the president well... I'm not going to even try to explain all the politics and background that group of folks has gone through, but it has really effectively split the majority of active pro-hunting waterfowlers right in half or even into equal thirds. If would take a fishing trip to explain it all.

They are of course pro-hunting, and most of those guys are infact pretty white collar (the president is THE legal counsel representing the VA Dept of Motor Vehicals... the guy Reb and I goose hunt with who has rights to some of the fields on either side of the Enon Bridge). Heck of a nice guy with a heart as big as the Texas sky. But there are plenty of folks who'd like to see him hung high... like I said... its a lot of politics and background... can't make everybody happy.

Vabowman 04-11-2008 10:59 AM

It really wasn't a diner, it was nice little Italian place close to the house. I was completely ok with what he said it was funny!!

Wolf killer 04-11-2008 01:26 PM

I am not sure there is a good answer to your question? I think this question would only help in dividing hunters.

There are a select few men working blue collar jobs that can afford to save the money for a guided hunt every year.

There are a selcet few white collar workers that will take the time away form work to go on a guided hunt every year.

I have a "pale blue" collar job. I could afford a guided huntevery year, but would prefer to set up my own camp & do it myself on public land. This is a cheaper & more rewarding route for me to take.