Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lazer or Paper tuning ? >

Lazer or Paper tuning ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lazer or Paper tuning ?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Lazer or Paper tuning ?

http://www.lawleroutdoors.com/Article.asp?Article=Bow%20Setup%20and%20Tuning&amp ;Call=Hunting/Hunting.asp?Game=Archery

Some more helpful tips/

Thx Rob, going to order one on the morning
Old 04-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I also look at it this way, if after laser/level tuning, someone paper tunes and gets a big tear, why would you not address the form issue rather than take a bow off center shot to the archer rather than the archer to the bow?
And it is for that very reason that I don't paper tune. All it does is test the archer... it does it certain circumstance have its merits... but I agree Rob that 95% of the time (and I set up a WHOLE lot of bows) that leveling and lazering is all it ever takes.

I am a big fan of walkback tuning for broadheads...and even for field points. I helps fix the minor user issues related to the arrow and sometimes even the individual shooter. I'm no Matt Miller after all you know.....

I've done a bit of bareshaft tuning, but I have found that with some of the newer super hard cams, I can't get a bareshaft to fly worth a lick... I'll use some arrows that should be WAY WAY WAY stiff... and still get a weak reaction....anyone have any idea on why this might be? I know it works wonders on finding the right arrow/brace height on my recurve.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

TFox, there's no need to try to prove me wrong with the riser defaults. I've yet to experience that with any of the bows I've worked with. While it may not be the amount you do through a shop, Laser and Level tuning has resulted in perfect broadhead flight on every bow I've touched. Perhaps sooner or later someone will bring me one with a "off" riser.

Even then I believe it to be closer than paper tuning. By untuning a bow because of bad form you can manipulate it to the owner but honestly that's not fixing the problem in the shooter, just matching the bow poorly to his hand. Take that same bow said to be tuned and hand it to a better shooter and shazaam, bad tune!

I'd rather work with the shooter than untune his bow.

I also agree with Swamp, after lazer and levels, bare shaft, walk back and mainly broadheads will tell you if your bow is tuned with matched arrows, so far everyone's bows I've thrown the laser and level on came back to me with " I've never had better broadhead flight" and I believe that with some of the configurations that have come to me, I wonder how they even shot the damn things but they were said to be "paper tuned".
Old 04-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that paper can be a horrible indicator of tune,but it can be a good indicator of having a good tune as well.As long as the shooter can do his part.

I don't tune to paper but use paper to check tune.When I get done tuning my bows,I can get a great tear most of the time.

I am not sayingthe EZEcenterlaser doesn't have it's merits but it isn't the end all to tuning.It might even be very close for 90% of bows,or 50%,I can't say one way or the other.I would actually like to have one,but I would use it in many other ways than center shot tuning.It would be a great tool to help with 3rd axis adjustment if one knows what he is doing.

I do feel the laser I showed the picture of is a better product,if it works as advertised.I have not actually used one so that I can not say for sure.I am waiting for the full length version.[:-]
Old 04-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think what this thread shows well is that there is no dead set RIGHT way of doing things. There are lots of ways to do it wrong, and several ways to do it right...whats important is arriving at an end somehow....your methods can take you on a long winding road sometimes....
Old 04-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Bartender

Thank You
ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

For those wondering about using the laser and levels, and for more discussion... I posted a how-to a while back
here
Old 04-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

No problem, Tony... couldn't believe when I went and dug that up just then that that thread's over 15,000 views now... It must be showing up in some major search engines like Yahoo or Google to get that much traffic.