Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 North American Super Slam >

North American Super Slam

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

North American Super Slam

Old 01-31-2009, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: North American Super Slam

Sorry for your bad luck Will!! Them hogs sound like there worse then dogs and yotes.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:27 PM

While I'll likely never do the entire slam, I too plan on knocking dang near all of it out with my bow. I have a whitetail and pronghorn. Im starting with the deer slam, a black bear, alligator. Then comes elk. I started saving up points this year in a few states, may take 50 years...but I WILL draw a sheep tag in the lower 48 and a few goat tags. A mtn goat is more appealing thana sheep to me right now.

I HATE when someone who knows absolutely nothing about a type of hunting, or what it takes....shoots off his mouth stating that all it takes is money....

There already is a "poor man's slam" so to speak...some call it the representative slam. You don't kill each individual species, just one of each category. One of the 3 bear, one of the 5 caribou, one of the 3 elk, one of the 5 deer,one of the 4 sheep...etc. Besides the sheep, MOST can be done on anyones budget if they want it bad enough...and even the sheep can be had by saving for years. Just a matter of how bad one wants something.

That was also a great point brought up about accomplishing whats important to you vs the standard slam. There are a few species that I likely won't hunt just because the price..or they don't appeal to me. I couldn't give a rip about shooting a Tule Elk over a Rocky Mtn Elk....or what type of caribou I have taken. A walrus will never be lined up inmy sights. I also have no interest in a South African waterhole safari inside a fence.....but NZ chamois and tahr are a HUGE dream of mine. It's about what is important to YOU, not the title of the the accomplishment. My longterm goals are to do several DIY western hunts that push the limit, step foot on all 6 continents hunting with a bow, to complete the deer slam, grand slam of turkey, a New Zealand Safari...and a few others....May take more money than what I can pony up when it comes down to it...but hey, we are talking about our DREAMS here. lol

If anyone is seriously interested in making a hunt, PM me. I have a few relatively cheap adventures lined up for the next few years...DIY public land in far away places, camping and roughing it...but should be some great times and great hunting. Starts with AK and AZ thiscoming season...who knows where from there. Will is the encyclopedia on this type knowledge though, and knows about hunting pretty much anything/anywhere.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

That's a shame. More and more our past time is becoming pay to play. Hey, you can still have fun hunting the things that you do hunt though, right?
Yep!! I too once entertained the thought of a Slam, but soon realized it is $$$$$$ guys game. I'll enjoy hunting what/where I can afford, and do the best I can.

I learned that having Fun is the most important goal.

I'm glad you don't have to complete the Slam to make it to Heaven

Dan
Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Rob,

You know I'm wishing you the best of luck on your pronghorn hunt! Knock one dead!

I had my desert mule deer devoured by feral hogs and scattered to the four winds on Jan 3rd, 09. I made a good 30 yard shot on a 26 inch wide 5x5 while hunting SE N. Mexico. I shot the deer late in the evening and opted toretrieve the beastthe followingmorning. I found a blood trail leading into a mess of pig tracks, pig poop, and uprooted soil. I find neither hide nor hair of my deer from that point.My next desert hunt will have revenge attached.

I'm off to Victoria Island in September for a musk ox.

Jim, what are your plans?
Monie?

This year, I'll go to Oxbow Lodge for bear. If I can make enough money during tax season, I'll also go back to Randy Routiers for mule deer. I went there in '07 and got a decent pronghorn.

Next year, I'm considering Canadian Moose/Woodland Caribou, Muskox/CCBG Caribou(or Mountain Caribou), and Coues/Mt Lion. I may, if finances allow, do two combos. I haven't thought about 2011 too much as I am trying to firm up next year's hunt(s).

I forgot to mention that I'll be putting in for PP's and BP's in Az and Wy.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Is there a complete list of all the animals that make up the super slam posted somewhere?
Old 02-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

For archery there are 28 animals, as recongized by Pope and Young:

Bison
Mt. Goat
Mt. Lion
Antelope
Musk ox
Woodland Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
Central Canada Barren Ground Caribou
Mountain Caribou
Barren Ground Caribou
Alaska-Yukon Moose
Canada Moose
Shiras Moose
Polar Bear
Grizzly Bear
Kodiak Bear
Black Bear
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Columbian Blacktail Deer
Whitetail Deer
Mule Deer
Coues Deer
Roosevelt Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mt. Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep
Stone Sheep
Old 02-01-2009, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Monie

For archery there are 29 animals, as recongized by Pope and Young:

Bison
Mt. Goat
Mt. Lion
Antelope
Musk ox
Woodland Caribou
Quebec Labrador Caribou
Central Canada Barren Ground Caribou
Mountain Caribou
Barren Ground Caribou
Alaska-Yukon Moose
Canada Moose
Shiras Moose
Polar Bear
Grizzly Bear
Kodiak Bear
Black Bear
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Columbian Blacktail Deer
Whitetail Deer
Mule Deer
Coues Whitetail Deer
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk (American Elk)
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mt. Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep
Stone Sheep
Corrected it for ya. Added the Californian Tule Elk not too long ago.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

I'm well on my way, got the whitetail!! haha 1 down and 28 to go!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, Travis!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntboy3181

I'm well on my way, got the whitetail!! haha 1 down and 28 to go!
Hot DOG! You're smokin' hot! lol

Quick Reply: North American Super Slam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.