Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 picking a tree stand >

picking a tree stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

picking a tree stand

Old 04-08-2008, 01:11 PM

Default RE: picking a tree stand

heyguys thanks for all the helpjust let you guys know the foods that i know of is going to be oats this year and there is quad trail run though out the bush and there is bunch diferent grass growing on it and long that trail there are some area's that are about 20 yard wide
Old 04-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

By hunting the edges, though.....I was able to observe a lot more than I probably would have if I'd dove into the heart of the woods right off the bat. It was a sound strategy.....I just didn't know I was doing it.
IMO, that is the best thing you can do. Low impact hunting is a very important part of harvesting older whitetail deer.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

That trail is going to be a food plot in itself if there's grass growing. Should be easy for you to figure out where they're hitting it too.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look for terrain features that funnel the deer into a narrow area that you can cover with your bow. It could also be the vegetation that does the funneling.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am guessing that you know the land you are hunting, and you are asking others about how they select there trees/spots...???

So I will start at your selected spot and assume it's wooded..??
Find the prevailing winds and the direction you believe the deer are going to come from to narrow down your choices.
At this point I prefferably find a tree around 15-20 yards from the selected trail(s) to get a decent trajectory for my arrow and obtain a good broad side shot. If I have a choice, I use a tree that leans backwards 5-15 degrees, for comfort and prefferably a spruce tree to conceal myself and have natural scent from the spruce.
I will set the stand up the tree at least 15 feet, to maybe 20 feet high, I stop there cause I'm scarred of heights and believe you start losing good trajectory for a clean kill,
unless you shoot further distances. The other reason's to get off the trail 20 yards, is that most people sight in @ 20 yards and are comfortable @ this distance, also any little noise like swooshing clothing or peripheral vision is less detected. Before ascending the tree, you will of course cut the neccessary branches, and clear a clean path to pull your bow up without banging or disturbing your setup. #1 Priority = Set your safety harness up. Once up in the tree you can see the trail(s) and pick the holes with the least amount of branches to cut and clear. After cutting, I like to drag these branches out of the area or strategically hide them in the most inconspicuous places. I then take dirt and rub the ends of the fresh cuts to dull the finish, so it's not like a light bulb if deer or hunter see's them. Sometimes if it's a multiple trail intersection I will clear a 2 foot wide troth as far out as I can shoot, because deer don't always use the trail and will meander through these spots and you won't remember what's cleared during the heat of the moment, I learned the hard way! I suggest only shooting in these lanes you cleared - trust me it will save a lot of time tracking wounded deer and heartache.
Now all you have to do is pick which deer you want to shoot!! Go get'em
Old 04-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

Look for terrain features that funnel the deer into a narrow area that you can cover with your bow. It could also be the vegetation that does the funneling.
What he said,and here's one more tip.

Pick a tree with plenty of cover, I'd rather be ten yds from a trail in the perfect tree then 20 yds from it in a so so tree. There is nothing wrong with setting up 10 yds off a trail. I have a tree I set up 7 yds from the deer. Its more aboout cover than distance.