Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is filming hunts becoming "Old Hat"? >

Is filming hunts becoming "Old Hat"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is filming hunts becoming "Old Hat"?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Is filming hunts becoming "Old Hat"?

Doesn't it seem like EVERYONE is filming hunts, now? Does this fact make you want to get into it......or does it drive you more towards the solitary?

I have a WODERFUL time hunting with my friends....for many reasons. BUT....I absolutely crave the time in the woods, alone. I know it's (fiming hunts) not for me (as an all-the-time thing)....but is for others. Hats off to them....I like watching theirs.

Do you think the people getting into this now are on the downhill side of this phenomenon? Or....is now THE best time to dive in?

Does filming your own hunts hold any allure for you?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is filming hunts becoming "Old Hat"?

I'd like to film more, and really had planned on having a camera setup for this season but don't see it happening. I think that being able to share it with others that weren't there would be great, and that's what would make it most interesting for me.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

I think theres a difference,
1. Being the guy that does it just for fun. He can do it however he pleases and keeps it fun.

2. Being the guy that is doing it or trying to do it to make a living. He is the one who has to keep up with the technology and stay on his game. He is the one who has to keep up with competition and try to make his video better than the next Joe Blow, alot more stressful and I dont think i would enjoy it very much.

However if I were to video I would do it on my accord and just keep it fun and interesting. I have often thought about it, I think it would be fun every now and then..
Giant Nontypical

I'm trying it, But I can honestly see it being a team thing. It's hard alone. I guess if I got my buck I could "cut my teeth" on a doe.

I'm trying it because, my family hears the stories, it would be nice to bring them into the hunt with video, and honestly I usually get in a couple situations during the course of a year that have to be seen to be believed.If I'd have had that Piebald on film last year..it would have made my year!

I think filming is still on the upswing. But I think the market-ability of making DVD's for profit/exposure is about at (or way past)capacity. I dunno I rarley watch'em and those that I do watch are free.
Dominant Buck

I think that being able to share it with others that weren't there would be great, and that's what would make it most interesting for me.
Great point, Matt. I guess I should have narrowed it down tot the guys who are doing it, commercially.

Your reasoning is spot-on. I'd love to have some of mine from the past.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

But I think the market-ability of making DVD's for profit/exposure is about at (or way past)capacity. I dunno I rarley watch'em and those that I do watch are free.
I agree, Bob....and sorry...I shoud have asked the questions, better. That's what I was getting at.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Watching me hunt would be allot like watching Goober changing Andy's oil.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think a lot of people have gotten into it because it is the "kewl" thing to do right now. That really doesn't apply to most on here though because these are the hard core hunters who do it all for the love of the game. At least for the most part. Like all things, those who are doing it to show off will eventually die off and those who do it because they truly enjoy it will be around for a long time to come.

I don't film. I just don't think anyone would ever care to see me hunt and I have a pretty good memory
Giant Nontypical

I say "Yes" and "No." And it goes back to realism and the "world's foremost expert" discussion that we had a while back.

I will gladly pay to watch the world's top authorities on whitetail hunting and behavior go toe-to-toe with bucks - and actually try to see the various tactics in different areas. I guess I'm drawn to people who do it the hard way. My way.

I still think we're "under-represented" as far as videos of real people hunting in real situations against the odds. And VERY under-represented in terms of videos featuring the best minds on the planet. Furthermore, most filmed hunts lack the authenticity that allows me to relate to what's going on. Not that they're not "authentic" - just that they're too easy for me to relate to. I.E. - sitting over a biologic field, shooting the 14th buck that walks past. I'd rather watch paint dry. Newsflash: A child couldput 5 hours in that stand and tag out. And all these schleps are angling to be the next Drury brother. LOL No thanks.

There are honestly a lot of unique thoughts, anglesand ideas that nobody has implemented yet. Things that would make the average guy want to see what you're doing.

Problem is, most video guys just get wrapped up in shooting a deer on film - and that's the error in their way. Shooting the deer is the last piece of the puzzle.

In some respects, filmed hunts is yesterday's newspaper - but in a lot of ways - we're just scratching the surface.
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: GMMAT

[quote] But I think the market-ability of making DVD's for profit/exposure is about at (or way past)capacity. I dunno I rarley watch'em and those that I do watch are free.

I am with you on this one. There are three networks that are pretty much all hunting/fishing now (MAN channel, Outdoor Channel, Versus) plus countless other Fox Sports affiliates that offer a ton of programming. I haven't paid for a DVD in a long time, no reason to for me, especially the big name ones, all their hunts are on TV anyway. Definetely a saturated market right now.

Quick Reply: Is filming hunts becoming "Old Hat"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.