Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is getting into bowunting hard starting from ground zero? >

Is getting into bowunting hard starting from ground zero?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is getting into bowunting hard starting from ground zero?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:16 AM

Default RE: Is getting into bowunting hard starting from ground zero?

I agree with everything that has already been said so I will not repeat it. The advice that I can give you is to read this forum everyday and ask questions when you have a problem. There are plenty of guys on here that are willing to answer you questions and help you get going.

Oh yeah, when it comes to practice, once you are comfortable shooting you bow be sure to shoot from different distances and different angles. That way, when you get in the woods you will have better confidence in your abilities. Good luck
Old 04-08-2008, 06:28 AM

datruthab, I started from scratch eight years ago with absolutely no help and no idea what a lot of the stuff I was seeing in the Cabelas catalog was for. I read up on the subject and ordered a inexpensive PSE Nova and set it up myself a proceeded to learn. I had a blast. A year later I decided toupgrade. Found a good pro shop that set me up and gave me some good pointers and I took it from there. I wish I had known about this forum then as the knowledge base here is unmatched. You can do it and you will be glad did. I also got into it for the longer season and the fact thatI could hunt closer to home and more often. Deer season for me use to be 4 or 5 days a year upstate. Not nearly enough time to do what I love. Go for it!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

datruthab, What state are you from? There are also tremendous advantagesin most states as they will often only allow archery hunting during the prime rut. I have hunted with both gun and bow for years and let me tell you it is easier to kill a mature buck or elk bull with a bow during the rut, than with a gun after the rut. I have killed 8 P&Y class animals, and 6 of these were taken by archery.

Also, as far as cost goes, once you have your hunting equipment, there is very little expense to archery. I buy virtually nothing now each year. You don't have to buy $2/shot rifle bullets, or all the gun cleaning patches, and lost timegood cleaning takes. Bows are very low maintenance, andcarbon arrows drop so little I never lose them on 3D shoots like the old aluminum ones which also bent easily. Two dozen arrows last me 5 years or more.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you like to be in the woods as much as possible and also like a challenge,bowhunting might be for you.Archery requires more practice to stay confident/comfortable with your gear.I started really late(28years old)and wish i would have found archery 20 years earlier!I was a gun only hunter for 15 years before i saw the light--now i don't really think about gun season.Bow hunting is less productive but a much bigger accomplishment for me anyway.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting should be a labor of love. I would suggest picking up some older - less expensive equipment and have fun. Ask questions as you go and enjoy the process. If you find that you enjoy the sport the rest will fall into place for you. Shooting a deer is about 1% of bow hunting. The other 99% is practicing, scouting, hanging out with other hunters, learning. If the 99% doesn't appeal to you then bow hunting probably isn't your sport.