Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting with a Range Finder? >

Bowhunting with a Range Finder?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting with a Range Finder?

Old 04-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting with a Range Finder?

I am never without mine ever!!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like having the confidence of know that magic circle around me, its pre determined before hand with a range finder. I dont like ranging deer themselves but when there in that circle, it takes alot of the guess work out of it. I like to sight mine in like Mobow as wel,l at 25 yards for a hunting rig.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Site Buck Guru

I started using one 3 years ago. I did it to eliminate my scent from pacing out different trees.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 AM

I range a perimeter around my stand/blind and then wait for something to walk into it, at least with a bow. I don't even take my range finder with me half the time when I bow hunt. Just more crap to carry and I don't need it if I already set the stand and did the homework for it.

I even use my range finder when I shoot 3-D, I don't keep score though. My only goal with 3-D is if it was a dead deer. Some of the time the high score on a target isn't always the best shot to take on a live animal. I don't always use the stakes that are set up either. Sometimes I move around to make the shot a bit more difficult or interesting. Like taking a longer shot, or shooting through an opening in a tree or something. I like to make it fun for me. If I ever set up a 3-D course people would probably beat me after they got done with it.

Paul
Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 AM

I don't go into the woods without it...Bob
Old 04-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow hunting with a Range Finder?

i take one with and i sight all the trees around me so i know the distance when a deer walks in . Also it gives me something to do while i wait . I envision all kinds of scenarios as i do this
Old 04-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

Great hunting tool! I zap the perimeter around my tree. Of course, using a rangefinder makes me an inferior hunter becausereal, true, professional woodsman can range a squirrel on the ground at 50 yards by eye, through briars, evergreens, and the like. No need for electronic gizmos like range finders, gps, or those troublesome flashlights.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never used a RF until a few years ago. for me its always been a situation that the deer was in range or it wasn't as my max was rather close, so whether the deer was 14,17, 20 yds, who cares.
I went out west and bought one and would range some objects at my setups.
I still use my RF now back east, but again its only to hit some trees logs etc to determine what's "in" and what's "out".
Old 04-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

A range finder is near the top of my list of must have equipment. While we may not all agree on the best way to use them, they will improve your odds however you choose to put them to use.

In Bowhunting, known yardages are a big part of the game.

Dan
Old 04-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will never use a range finder. Not because I am some elitist, but part of the reason I switched to bowhunting only was to experience the pain/pleasure of making a good shot in the heat of the moment, using my best judgement. I don't want any help from a range finder when I decide to shoot a deer. I want to live and die with all the practice I have put in all year with my bow.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting with a Range Finder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.