HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/240814-why-heavy-setup-picture-little-bloodie.html)

Germ 04-04-2008 05:52 PM

Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie)

I know I will catch slack for this, and some will question my shot choice. The reasonI shoot the heaviest setups i can, with what I think is toughest BH are for shots like this one.

The deer was Qrt to me at a pretty good angle. He had run by me 4 times that morning. He was hot on a doe. I screamed at him to stop. He stop Qrt to me, I put the pin right on the blade and pulled the trigger. I was not in the heat of the moment, I knew exactly what I was doing. I know what my setups can do and not do. I am not saying my setups are better than anyone elses, just sharing why I do what I do.

I was shooting a Bowtech Patriot at the time 28'' Draw pulling 74 lbs. 70Lbs of KE, but momentum is more important to me.

Brknarrow1970 04-04-2008 05:55 PM

RE: Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie)

Which broadhead were you shooting -how was the penetration

I have taken that shot in the past as well,under the right circumstances - deer haven't made it 50 yards

Brknarrow1970 04-04-2008 05:55 PM

OH yeah BTW Great BUCK

Vabowman 04-04-2008 05:58 PM

I took that shot 3 times last yr and none of the deer made more than 60yds. That's why I pull 73# and shoot fixed blade BH!!! Hell of a shot Germ and nice buck at that!!!

PA Hardwoods 04-04-2008 05:59 PM

Germ im glad to see somone around here gets it when it comes to heavy arrow setups and momentum. This coming year I plan on heaving about a 530-550grn arrow out of my Old Glory

Germ 04-04-2008 06:04 PM

I was shooting a montec 125

This years arrow is over 550 grains:D The scale would not weight it, LOL Limits out at 550 grains.

Arrow went in up to the fletching about half way.

RDHunter 04-04-2008 06:04 PM

Some times ... you gotta use what works best for you and it seems like it work out well on this buck , congrats.

popeandyoungchaser 04-04-2008 06:04 PM

Have been considering going heavy instead of light. The perks of a heavy arrow are starting to swing my opinion. I really like the idea of a quieter more forgiving set-up. What arrow/broadhead combo were you using Germ?

Germ 04-04-2008 06:09 PM

The arrow was Carbon Express Select Hunter 55-75 12 Grains inch.

PA Hardwoods 04-04-2008 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

I was shooting a montec 125

This years arrow is over 550 grains:D The scale would not weight it, LOL Limits out at 550 grains.

Arrow went in up to the fletching about half way.
Yeah my setup will also have an FOC of just below 21% Lots of weight packing a punch up front on that baby;)