Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie) >

Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie)

Old 04-05-2008, 08:55 AM

Default RE: Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie)

Greg/MO, hitting the ball joint is a whole nother story..
Old 04-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, I absolutely agree... but a person obviously runs the risk of hitting it when aiming in that area... My only intent was to point out that you're not going to penetrate through that if you encounter it. The average bowhunter needs to be reminded of that when engaging in a "blowing through the shoulder" discussion. I have since went back and perused Gary's original post, and he did in fact say "blade"... but irrespective of that,understand thatmost people think of "shoulder" or "shoulderblade" as the general joint where upper leg meets body.

If that's not brought into the equation, someone's going to inevitably smack it head-on, and then cry foul later on and say "Well, they told me I could shoot through the shoulder if I had a heavy-enough setup..."

Most of us engaged in this discussion realize that, but remember that there are usually hundreds of less-experienced archers who read these threads who never post, yet take the information they learn from here and attempt to practically apply it.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Oh, I absolutely agree... but a person obviously runs the risk of hitting it when aiming in that area... My only intent was to point out that you're not going to penetrate through that if you encounter it. The average bowhunter needs to be reminded of that when engaging in a "blowing through the shoulder" discussion. I have since went back and perused Gary's original post, and he did in fact say "blade"... but irrespective of that,understand thatmost people think of "shoulder" or "shoulderblade" as the general joint where upper leg meets body.

If that's not brought into the equation, someone's going to inevitably smack it head-on, and then cry foul later on and say "Well, they told me I could shoot through the shoulder if I had a heavy-enough setup..."

Most of us engaged in this discussion realize that, but remember that there are usually hundreds of less-experienced archers who read these threads who never post, yet take the information they learn from here and attempt to practically apply it.
Exactly Greg!! Well said.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

What count did you get him in germ?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

FYI

(Oh, so newbies or even oldies are confused, whitetails don't have "ball joints" in the front shoulder.)
Old 04-05-2008, 11:26 AM

Judging from Robs skeletal picture, It seems that in order to hit that joint on a hard angling to shot from a high treestand (germs example), you arrow would pass out as a VERY low shot. Hard for me to visualize but it almost seems that it would miss vitals if it was angling to you and you were high in a tree....am i wrong?

I guess what I am asking is, if the ball joint is hit on this shot, wouldnt it be a very bad shot regardless if the bone stops the arrow or not?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:41 AM

Greg/MO, absolutletly!!! I have hit them square in the shoulder joint and watched with dispair as she ran off with my arrow, only to find herseveral months later!!! I shot a few deer this year through the disc part of the shoulder, not the actual bone, I want to clear that up for everyone. I would never take a shot directly at the joint or bone of the shoulder, I will just wait or not shoot at all. For any newbies, I would not try it unless you are absolutley sure of what your equipment will do.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

It may not technically constitute a "ball joint", but there is a point where the bones meet that is comrised of more of a bulbous mass of bone; it was easier to say ball joint. You can clearly see it in the above pic where the upper leg bone comes up at a 45-degree angle towards the head and ends at the shoulder structure.

While we're on the subject, too... the scapula itself differs in thickness from its thinner "middle", if you will, to the edges which are very much thicker and more arrow-penetrating prohibitive.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

It seems that in order to hit that joint on a hard angling to shot from a high treestand (germs example), you arrow would pass out as a VERY low shot. Hard for me to visualize but it almost seems that it would miss vitals if it was angling to you and you were high in a tree....am i wrong?

I guess what I am asking is, if the ball joint is hit on this shot, wouldnt it be a very bad shot regardless if the bone stops the arrow or not?
You're right about that exact joint -- but as I alluded to above, the "rim" or edge of the scapula will often times stop an arrow cold as well. Move the shot placement over to the center of that flat plate, and you'll blow through both shoulders (provided a broadside shot) with ease... But the rim of that shoulder bone is another story altogether.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Greg I knew what you were doing. BTW not one comment on the bow I used

Quick Reply: Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.