Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie) >

Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie)

Old 04-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie)

Question for ya, Germ... did you actually scrutinize what part of the shoulder your broadhead went through upon field dressing it? I'm talking about looking at the actual bones after the meat was removed?

The reason I ask is that I've seen a lot of people (and I'm not necessarily say you're doing the same here) say that "I busted through his shoulder", when what they really busted through was the flat part of the scapula where it's a lot thinner. That spot -- though I think it should be avoided if possible simply due to the close proximity of the ball joint -- is entirely "makeable" to me given a setup that's properly tuned with all the projectile's energy focused behind the tip of the broadhead.

If one exactly hits the ball of the shoulder though, I have my doubts on a high rate of success -- if at all.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gary,

Nice shot, great looking buck.

I like the slight quarter tooshot as long as I am close. I have taken it three times all 15 yards or closer and I am 3 for 3 with no problems, not so say something couldn't go wrong but I knew my set up could blow right through the shoulders of these animals and they did. Once on a bear at 8 yards, a cow elk at15 yards and a buck at 12yards. All three died very quickly and within 60 yards. I was shooting a Samson VFT Extreme 80 on two of the three with a 500 grain set up. I was shooting an 80lb CWM with a 500 grain set up. I lightened up for a few years from 04 till 07 seeking flatter trajectory. I have since thenswayedback to 525 grains to up myFOC. I am shooting an 04 80lb Liberty. My new arrow set up is a lot like what I shot from 98-03. I am looking for a set of 90 lb limbs for my Bowtech 04 Liberty if they ever made them...I know they did for the VFTsif anyone knows if I can get them, please pm me.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Germ, excellentshooting and congrats on a nice buck. I too like having a heavy set up for reason already mentioned.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:36 AM
Site Buck Guru

Good shot and nice buck. I've done it myself a couple of times.

Part of being a good bow hunter is knowing your equipment and it's limitations.

It is always better to lean towards the heavy side with your equipment.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Question for ya, Germ... did you actually scrutinize what part of the shoulder your broadhead went through upon field dressing it? I'm talking about looking at the actual bones after the meat was removed?
The reason I ask is that I've seen a lot of people (and I'm not necessarily say you're doing the same here) say that "I busted through his shoulder", when what they really busted through was the flat part of the scapula where it's a lot thinner.
That is what I consider the shoulder blade, which is right where I aimed. So yes Iwent through the scapula.

Greg I have the bone somewhere, i will look for it today. It went through the back part of the blade, not quite a dead center hit.

I agree about the ball joint. The deer was 12 yds from me, and the reason I aimed a little high was 1. I am 23 feet up, 2. I did not want to hit the ball joint I have hit the ball joint on a deer, and it's about 40/60 chance of getting it. I ended up on the 60. The deer was broadside, I just made a poor shot.

BTW Greg I never said i busted through the shoulder.
I put the pin right on the blade and pulled the trigger.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:07 AM

Germ, I made a shot simillar to that on a 200 lb deer at 15 yds he was down after running 60 yds. I will make that shot everytime if I have the proper equipment.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

The reason I ask is that I've seen a lot of people (and I'm not necessarily say you're doing the same here) say that "I busted through his shoulder", when what they really busted through was the flat part of the scapula where it's a lot thinner. That spot -- though I think it should be avoided if possible simply due to the close proximity of the ball joint -- is entirely "makeable" to me given a setup that's properly tuned with all the projectile's energy focused behind the tip of the broadhead.

If one exactly hits the ball of the shoulder though, I have my doubts on a high rate of success -- if at all.
There's no way possible anyone's broad head is going to bust through the knuckle of the shoulder. Impossible!!!! Germ you made a good shot on a very questionable shot, well done! You knew what you were doing!! I would never recommend just anyone to do this. You better know your equipment damn good if your going to be doing what Germ did. To all the new comer bow hunters, stay away from the shoulder. For me shooting with my recurve, not the greatest of ideas although I could probably get away with it but being its questionable for my set up I will never even think about trying it.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

I or people I have hunted with have shot through the shoulder blade on that angle many times with great success...I have also been on way too many dead end tracking trips after 0 penetration into the shoulder....The strange thing...all the times I have experienced great penetration on the shoulder (or anywhere else for that matter) were with recurve bows, 600+ grain wood arrows, and Magnus cut on contact heads...I know I am a strong believer in shooting HEAVY arrows....
Old 04-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: passthrough24

I or people I have hunted with have shot through the shoulder blade on that angle many times with great success...I have also been on way too many dead end tracking trips after 0 penetration into the shoulder....The strange thing...all the times I have experienced great penetration on the shoulder (or anywhere else for that matter) were with recurve bows, 600+ grain wood arrows, and Magnus cut on contact heads...I know I am a strong believer in shooting HEAVY arrows....
Makes 2 of us!!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Germ, I wasn't trying to bust your balls... I simply don't think that 95% of bowhunters understand the difference between blowing through a relatively thin, flat blade of bone and hittingthe rather bulbous mass of bone that comprises the actual joint.

I've seen less than optimal setups blow right through the scapula, and likewise I've seen extremely heavy setups stopped cold on that ball joint (I speak from experience on this ).

It waslate when I replied (I was up until past 1 a.m.), and I didn't remember seeing where you had clarified which one you had blown through... Irrespective of that, I think it's still a valid distinction to point out tothose who may be reading the thread and trying to learn something from those of us who've been there and done it -- or tried it.

Quick Reply: Why a Heavy Setup(picture a little bloodie)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.