HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How should we handle this? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/240766-how-should-we-handle.html)

ICALL2MUCH 04-04-2008 12:22 PM

How should we handle this?

Guys,

My father, grandpa and myself just purchased a new piece of hunting property. It has lots of potential, and we are pretty pumped about it.

A problem that we have thought is my grandpa. He doesn't want to shoot anything anymore (deer or turkeys). I completely understand this, he just turned 70. He often hunts by himself because he is retired and Dad and I cannot get to the farm as much as he. Grandpa doesn't really hunt the wind at all, and doesn't believe in using any scent reduction tactics. We only want him hunting out of ladder stands, for fear that something could happen to him. But, he loves to be in the woods. He also likes the be right in the middle of all the action. My Dad and I have all the respect in the world for him, but we are REALLY trying to him to "hunt" the wind. We honestly don't want him going into our best spots stinking up the area with human scent, when he does not plan on harvesting anything, or hunting the wind.

Are we off here? What would you fellas do? We are learning that it is "hard to teach a old dog new tricks".

KodiakArcher 04-04-2008 12:25 PM

RE: How should we handle this?

Let him hunt HIS hunt... He's earned it.

GMMAT 04-04-2008 12:29 PM

When he's gone you'll see just how trivial this "issue" really was.;)

TexasBowHunter 04-04-2008 12:30 PM

I have the exact same problem on my family land, even worse grandad will shoot (w/a rifle) the animals that the rest of us are passing (with bows). It is frusterating to say the least but we have never said much to him (out of respect I suppose) We do ribb him a little but it hasn't affected him too much. However you wind up doing it just remember he got you guys started with all this hunting, at least that is the case with us, and we just figure we'll deal with it as we never know how many more years we will have with him at the camp....

WesternMdHardwoods 04-04-2008 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Let him hunt HIS hunt... He's earned it.

X2~~ No question about it!!!

ICALL2MUCH 04-04-2008 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

When he's gone you'll see just how trivial this "issue" really was.;)
We don't "let" him do anything. He is 70, he makes his own decisions.

I guess I was asking was for some direction on informing him of some of the harm he is causing our hunting area?

wahoohunter 04-04-2008 12:34 PM

ICALL2MUCH,

We had a somewhat similiar situation to this on our property this past year, one of our hunt club members would always "spot and stalk" without taking any methods to ensure scent control or anything. Needless to say, "spot and stalk" for a guy who doesn't practice scent control this day in age is code for "I'm going to tromp around and hope I walk up on something." Granted, and with all due respect, I understand that this is not the case at all with your grandpa as he'll apparently be still hunting. And, seeing as how y'all are close enough with your grandpa to purchase some land, you might want to think about just sitting down with him and explaining your thoughts. I know many older hunters don't believe in scent control or any of the other modern technologies, but I also know older hunters also have a respect for the younger generations and their new knowledge. Anyways, I would just try to talk to him about it. Like KodiakArcher said, if he's hunted all his life, he's earned the right to hunt how he wants. However, givent he respect I'm sure he had for you and your dad, he'd be willing to better his ways a bit to aid you two.

GMMAT 04-04-2008 12:35 PM

We don't "let" him do anything. He is 70, he makes his own decisions.

I guess I was asking was for some direction on informing him of some of the harm he is causing our hunting area?
I never said you "let" him do anything. You have me confused with someone else.

I said exactly what I mean to say. Do what you want.;)

fletch920 04-04-2008 12:36 PM

Yes, in my opinion you are off base here. If you were willing to use his money to help purchase the property you better let him use it as he sees fit. I'm only 40 and only have one memory of one of my Grandfathers taking me fishing when I was very young. All of my grandparents were dead before I was 9 years old. My Grandfathers were gone before I was 6. My father has been gone now for 7 years. Be glad he is still a part of your life and enjoy him while you can. Putting the importance of your deer hunting above your family is unimaginable to me. I'm not trying to bash on you, just want you to look at the big picture. My .02 cents.

rybohunter 04-04-2008 12:37 PM

There's no way you'll convince him that he's doing harm to your hunting. Let him do his thing & hunt somewhere else, ortake your chances on your new land. No sense causing an uproar amongst family in that situation.