Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I know deer are incredible animals but c'mon... >

I know deer are incredible animals but c'mon...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I know deer are incredible animals but c'mon...

Old 04-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I know deer are incredible animals but c'mon...

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I don't doubt anything anymore, but that seems unlikely. What I wonder is if you catch a certain part of a deer's lung if it would still have partial use of that lung. For example, in this case if you caught the top lobe of the lung toward the back and the deer fell over maybe the way the deer was laying would create a seal over the wound and prevent the lung from filling with blood. It is possible that the deer could survive some time with partial use of one lung. This is all theory.

Any thoughts?
I was thinking the same thing! Maybe they just nicked one lung and blew threw the other and said hell thats a double lung shot!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slicing the lungs alone will take some time to cause the deer to die from lack of oxygen. Even with damage to the lungs they are still able to process some oxygen to the blood. It is blood loss that is the main kill mechanism and there is some change that a broadhead will miss all major arteries and veins. My father double lunged one in the early 90’s that went 1.5 miles. I shot one in 2002 that sliced that back end of both lungs and he lived almost 6 hours. When we opened him up to gut him both lungs were completely full of blood, it just took a long time for him to bleed enough. Is it extremely rare? Yes. Is it impossible? No.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anything is possible but 9 times out of 10 this isn't going to happen. Keep shooting for the lungs, there your biggest target!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Anything is possible but 9 times out of 10 this isn't going to happen. Keep shooting for the lungs, there your biggest target!
Absolutely! I was not trying to say otherwise and if it came across as such I apologize.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say this story is possible if you clip both of the lungs, but if you punch a hole in the middle of them and the lungs collapse, then no way. 10 seconds tops and that deer is done!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought it was here, a guy posted video of a double lunged doe, that lived for a ridicuously long time.
Someone back me up here. It was a couple or more seasons ago.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Absolutely! I was not trying to say otherwise and if it came across as such I apologize.
I didn't even read through the replies Huntingson before I posted. I hope you didn't think i was taking aim at you. What you said I'm sure is true.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know here, I have made the same shot on different deer and see them react differently. In my experiences I have shot one deer through the lungs (double) and it would go 30 yards and done. The next deer with the same double lung would go 60 yards and done...I suppose thats where "will to live" comes into play, However the only deer I have seen in my harvest's that will live longer will be single lung shots,I have nevershot a deer double lunged, that I didn't pack my stuff and go get my animal.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Must not have been shooting Rages....[8D]
Old 04-03-2008, 02:18 PM

I always take the double lung shot.If you double lung a deer with a sharp,legal and penetrating shot,the deer is dead within minutes.The blood rushes in the lungs like a garden hose,death is certain and fast.I've bowkilled over a hunderd deer this way,so I amtalking with experiance.
As far as you DJ is concerned,I think his "spin"on his "platter" has some "skips"...Bob

Quick Reply: I know deer are incredible animals but c'mon...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.