HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   ASAT "review" (pics added) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/240293-asat-review-pics-added.html)

StrutNtom 04-01-2008 01:31 PM

ASAT "review" (pics added)

I am certainly no pro, but this is what I think (so far) of my ASAT 3d suit.

The suit arrived in a VERY timely matter. They got the shipment of new suits in on the 25th. I received mine on the 28th. Can't beat that.

I was some what disappointed when I took the suit out of the package and gave it a quick look over. The reason for this is b/c for the money that you pay it could have belt loops, a better elastic waist band and if you aren't 6'5'' you are going to have about 6'' of the suit to tuck into your boots. So to sum it. I think that a company such as ASAT which is known for its quality skipped out on a few things that you can get on cheaper suits and help out A LOT!. Will this suit last four or five years? Maybe in states that have a month long deer season. Our deer season is five months long and I honestly don't think it will last four or five years as many other peple have reported, but I hope that I am wrong.

Today was the opening day of turkey season here in SC and I couldn't wait to get out in a real world setting and try the camo pattern. This is where ASAT blows the Mossy Oaks, RealTree, and other "blob" camo out of the water. I started off this morning hunting a river bottom along the famous Santee river. It was overall a quite morning due to the foul weather we've been having so my thoughts drifted to my new investment.

I was sitting on the ground with my back against an old water oak and my legs stretched out. I was amazed at how my legs literally disappeared against the forrest floor right there in front of me. The open pattern soaks up all the different shades of brown, grey, and tan presented by the leaves. I took my cell phone out and snapped some shots of my upper body against the oak and again, amazed. As the camo did with the leaves on the ground, it completely broke up my out line against the tree. Its like you can literally "see through" the pattern. The slightest breeze comes through the suit and cools you off. I can't wait to try the suit out in the treestand this fall.

My over all thoughts of the 3d suits are:

For the money it could be better built and add on a few "gadgets" such as belt loops. As for the pattern and effectiveness of the 3d design. Unmatched. I have a 3d suit in one of the "big name" patterns and it just doesn't compare.

Greg / MO 04-01-2008 01:42 PM

RE: ASAT "review"

I've always thought the pattern was fantastic, but the garments I've looked at were lacking. If I were to purchase anything in ASAT, it would have to be from Day One or Gray Wolf Woolens (which is carrying ASAT in fleece this year).

MGH_PA 04-01-2008 01:59 PM

My thoughts EXACTLY. Love my suit (I logged a lot of hours through three months this season wearing this suit from start to finish, and it's holding up just fine). I hate the excess length of material (even though I made sure I was ordering the correct size according to my measurements), and I'm not thrilled with the quality of the material in terms of "substance" if I can use that term. The pattern, however, is AMAZING. I was NEVER, and I repeat NEVER busted once this season visually, which is a first for me. The news that greg mentioned about the ASAT being carried in fleece is exciting, and that or Enigma will most likely be my next camo purchase.

peakrut 04-01-2008 02:07 PM

Fleece you say, thanks for the heads up Greg.

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I've always thought the pattern was fantastic, but the garments I've looked at were lacking. If I were to purchase anything in ASAT, it would have to be from Day One or Gray Wolf Woolens (which is carrying ASAT in fleece this year).

Double Creek 04-01-2008 02:32 PM

I've been watching Gray Wolf's website, I wish they would hurry up and make it available!

Austin/WI 04-01-2008 02:53 PM

Nice review, I was looking at those during spring break. They seem real well made and the pattern speaks for itself, I didn't notice the lack of creature features on 'em, but I'm glad you brought those up.

Rob/PA Bowyer 04-01-2008 03:56 PM

StrutnTom, It didn't use to be that way. It used to be about quality and craftmanship, now from what I understand it's all sent out of the country and you see what you get.

StrutNtom 04-09-2008 06:58 PM

RE: ASAT "review" (update)

kl

HuntingBry 04-09-2008 07:03 PM

I've had an ASAT 3D suit for about 5 years and it has been awesome. I guess I got one of the ones made before they started shipping them out of the country. It's still going strong after some harsh treatment and has lots of life left in it.

I also picked up a Day One ASAT shell this year and it's really nice too.

StrutNtom 04-09-2008 07:40 PM

l