Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I be surprised? >

Should I be surprised?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I be surprised?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Should I be surprised?

I had recently worked with Ausie (thanks again) whom helped me set up a new hunting arrow that in the end ups my total grains by 65 (total of 524 now), which ups my FOC from 15 and changeto 19.3. andups my KEto over76 from 73... Well after shootingthe firstarrowI put togethertoday (prototype)I was sort of surprised that my 20 and 30 yardpins shotwith no change in trajectory. I shot several shots out to 30 yards with the new heavier set up and consistently shot bullets without touching my sight adjustments.

Should I be surprised that I did not need to make any adjustments out to 30 yards....after addiing 65 grains.. ??????

My new arrow set up is a 28 inch(shaft) ACC 3-71, 100 grain brass insert, g-nock, arrow wraps, fletched withBlazer (two inch) vanes. My bow is a Bowtech Liberty 80, maxed at 78lbs.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Should I be surprised?

IMO no

I just put an arrow that weighs 180 grains more on and shot it. Lets say I needed to adjust, LOL
Old 03-31-2008, 05:03 PM

Yeh, I would be if it were me.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have been suprised. BUT then again you are shooting 78#. Maybe that's why?
You could probably blow thru 3 elk with that setup. Holy cow.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Remeber the heavier the arrow the more "energy" the bow puts in. So the net/gain lost for drop is not that great IMO at 68 grains.

But I have no idea what the hell I am talking about
Old 03-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Remeber the heavier the arrow the more "energy" the bow puts in. So the net/gain lost for drop is not that great IMO at 68 grains.

But I have no idea what the hell I am talking about
lol Gary, thats why I asked this Question, I pretty much lean on all the brainiacs around here when it comes to tech stuff, steal it and smile! Again this may be an elementary ? for some..but I figured I'd ask, needless to say, I am pretty stoked about how well the new arrow flew ... shes gonna pack a punch come Bear season..
Old 03-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

78#?? Not supprised at all
Old 03-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I don't understand it. gravity forces all objects to fall at the same rate. Since it takes more time to reach 30 yds the arrow should drop some. Is it possible that your arrow is aiming up coming off your bow still climbing @ 20 and falling back to the same level @ 30? Another possible answer is your anchor point may change slightly when you shoot the different pins. let us know what you find out.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I honestly thought you'd see a little bit of a change in trajectory - but nothing crazy.Maybe just a nudge. I'm guessing the speed loss is under 20 fps.

Just seems like you should be generating more than 76# KE at 78# draw weight. Either way, definitely plenty of energy for any North American game.

As the arrow weight increases, added weight has a diminishing effect on speed - and trajectory. For example, if I stacked 65 grains on my 255 grain arrow, I'd see a big speed (trajectory) change. But, if I was sighted in with a 500 grain arrow, and bumped up to 565 - the difference would be much smaller.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Carbon-Arrows/arrow-selection-guide5.htm This chart kinda shows how that phenomenon plays out.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I honestly thought you'd see a little bit of a change in trajectory - but nothing crazy.Maybe just a nudge. Nudge meaning like an inch..??..I'm guessing the speed loss is under 20 fps.

Just seems like you should be generating more than 76# KE at 78# draw weight. Well, Ausie ran the #'s for mebased on my bow...I still need to shoot it through a crono to get it exact...Either way, definitely plenty of energy for any North American game.

As the arrow weight increases, added weight has a diminishing effect on speed - and trajectory. For example, if I stacked 65 grains on my 255 grain arrow, I'd see a big speed (trajectory) change. But, if I was sighted in with a 500 grain arrow, and bumped up to 565 - the difference would be much smaller. Yeah I went from around 465 to 524

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Carbon-Arrows/arrow-selection-guide5.htm This chart kinda shows how that phenomenon plays out.

Thanks Fran.. and10-4 onyour picture thread....that guy in his scivies holding the big buck.. LMFLIPPING ARSE OFF>.. I about spit coffee on my puter here.. thats a killer pix..

Quick Reply: Should I be surprised?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.