Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Black Bears

Old 03-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Black Bears

hey all I am Now Hunting in Bear Country. this has just changed in the last few years, we tecnically are not allowed to carry a fire arm in CT due to the prima faca law, So I was jsut wondering, what is everyone doing to protect thmselves against Black Bear attacks ????
I have heard of people carring mace or even going against the laws and carring a fire arm anyway ?? do you really need a fire arm aginst black bears or will the mace and or air horns work well enough to keep you safe !! I have been seeing more and more Black Bears every season[/align]
Old 03-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Black Bears

Personally I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've been involved with bear hunting for 30+ years, been hunting them for 20 years and not once have I had a bear get too hostile with me. There a curious animal, there vision is terrible. There nose makes up for it though. In most cases there just as afraid of you (if not more) then you are afraid of them. If it bothers you that bad pick up some pepper spray, that works well for these black bear.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:09 AM

Blackies are like big racoons.......don't believe the hype, not much to worry about.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Black bear encounters are very rare, they almost always run from a human. Just avoid a sow with her cubs, this can be trouble.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

.44 mag, go ahead make my day - Yogi
Old 03-30-2008, 06:05 PM
car
Typical Buck

Most bears will run the other way as soon as they see or smell you.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think a black bear will bother you at all...

Unless you somehow get yourself in between her cubs...If you ever realize this then get out of there...if you stick around and let the situtation fester....maybe...just maybe....you could be in trouble....

Usually they just sniff your boots and run off....

However....the boars always like to look up at me and click their jaws at me and act all motcho.....I won't lie....makes the hair on your ____ stand up.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Black bears don't bother me. I video taped a hunt for a friend and he insisted I back him up with a 9mm. pistol. I thought it was kinda silly but carried it to make him happy. I've had a lot af encounters with them over the years and they always run away.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

thanks everyone I feel better now
Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Just hunt with a buddy that doesn't run as fast as you, problem solved. Naw, just kidding, I couldn't resist.

Quick Reply: Black Bears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.