Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dumbest thing you've done in the deer woods >

Dumbest thing you've done in the deer woods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dumbest thing you've done in the deer woods

Old 03-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dumbest thing you've done in the deer woods

Most posts and threads on here are of success and good stories, and for good reason. We all like to share our successes and accomplishments. Anyway, to humble ourselves I thought I'd start a thread to see what some of the dumbest/most stupid/biggest bloopers you've done in the deer woods. That ONE thing you just wish you could have back or done differently. I figured we could all learn something from everyone's mishaps and get a laugh out of some of them too.

My biggest mistake was thinkin I was smarter than the deer I was huntin. Stupid I know. But this past season with just one week left in the season I was looking to take a doe out of the herd. They same bunch of does was goin to feed in the same field, at the same time, every single solitary afternoon. I thought for sure my setup would catch between bedding and feeding. I had 3 different setups establsihed and none of them worked! If i set up at stand A they'd go by B. If I setup at blind C they go by stand A. Needless to say the same ole does kicked my butt the last week of the season because I thought for sure I had them patterened. Guess not[&:]
Old 03-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Bartender

Default RE: Dumbest thing you've done in the deer woods

Get down from my stand with plenty of time still to hunt thinking this other spot might be better. Kills me everytime.
Not hunt the wind and say to the hell with it.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 AM

My first year deer hunting I had a chance to shoot a doe. She came around the back of the tree and stopped broadside about 30 yards from me on my right side. I slowly twisted to my knees, took careful aim, squeezed the trigger and then....nothing. I forgot to pull the hammer back on my 30-30. She took off and I missed her running.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

How much time ya got?!?!?! I am the Sad Sack of Bowhunting!!!( Jeff, T, and other guys my age .... you remember that comic book?) I have made every possible stupid mistake bowhunting at least twice! [&o]Oh well .... the shotgun is always the equalizer
Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I climbed into my stand one late October (2005) morning and got settled in. About 45 mins or so after daylight I seen two does coming running right at me with a good shooter buck behind them. The does stopped about 10 yards in front of me and the buck stopped right behind them. I drew, placed my pin on the good spot and touched the release. It was at that moment when I realized I never even nocked an arrow that morning.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

kickin butt--HILLARIOUS!

I once got lost when I was young dragging a 6 pointer out of the woods...I shot the buck on unfamiliar territory at 7:30AM....I didnt get out of the woods until after sundown. I drug the buck the whole time because I was afraid someone would steal the biggest deer I had shot until that point.....needless to say I was severely dehydrated and worn out to the point of exhaustion. I was very close to giving up and spending the night in the woods as I had no cell phone, no compass....I was done.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could be one of the dumbest I do, considering if I die from an ammonia...?
But probably the most consistant dumb thing I do...
~ It's not paying attention to details given out by the "accurate" weather forcaster. (if that's what you want to call them)
This usually leads to not dressing for the weather conditions, properly.
One Muzzleloading day (I know this is bowhunting ???) when I sat in my stand I had "heard" of "rain showers", and I contemplated wearing my rain gear and should have.
The sky opened up with rain and everything including my taint was pruned beyond recognition.
Now - I usaully shoot my muzzleloader after any moisture eppisodes happens, but didn't do it that rainy day.
A couple of days later I went back in the woods and had a nice 6 pointer broadside @ 35 yards and countinued to snap off 5 caps before he finally walked away.
There was no BOOM after the cap because of my moisture problem, live and learn?!!

So the weather can be a DUMB thing not to pay attention too!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

I used to be bad at the See one from the stand with an hour left of light, and try to climb down and put the stalk on it technique. Needless to say, it never worked.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not pulling my insulated cover all sleeve far enough out of the way when I was taking my morning dump wasn't one of my brighter moments.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just use it as face paint, it's natural right!

Quick Reply: Dumbest thing you've done in the deer woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.