HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   scared of coyotes? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/239503-scared-coyotes.html)

Edcyclopedia 03-27-2008 05:14 PM

scared of coyotes?

I've had two experiences with coyotes after dark, how about you?...
1) Sitting by the camp fire sipping some hopps and barley by myself one night a few hours after sunset. All of a sudden I had a pack of 7 or 8 yotes within 100-200 yards surrounding me, so I went in and grabbed my shotgun. The yelping and calling continued closer until I scrambled back inside. I through some food out the door maybe 20 yards and watched but they never came. I was calling for my mommy!
2) Sitting in my stand for an afternoon hunt about 1 1/2 miles in the woods. I had about 5 minutes left of legal light and the yelping started a few hundred yards away. Didn't think much about it, until it got closer with more yotes calling back and fourth. Well I tell you I got my narrow white ass outta there pretty damn quick.
~ I usually carry my .44 mag while archery hunting, as there are many bear in the area and I was too lazy too grab it before I left the camp for the hunt.
Question #2 - Do you pack a pistola?

Hunter Dan7 03-27-2008 06:22 PM

RE: scared of coyotes?

I dident last year but know im starting to hear more about Moutian Lions so im going to this year i think. I seen something black chasing deer the other day and i dont know what it was and my boss said that he seen a Moutian Lion run across his yard on night a few years back. Kinda Scary stuff. And plus i dont want to get in a fight with a mama hog with babies and come out on the losing end.

Splitear_Leland 03-27-2008 06:26 PM

Coyotes never bothered me. They are pretty fearful of humans, and even in the event of an attack, even a pack would have a handful trying to take me down. Now cougars are a different story, if I were to get mauled by one of them suckers on my way out of the woods I'd be sucked up underneath my climber like a turtle.

nick_bleuer76 03-27-2008 06:33 PM

I have never had any problems with yotes, but I had a quarrel with a wood chuck. When I got down from my stand something started growling at me, I got scrared and ran away when I heard. I went and checked it out about 30 seconds later. aftr I got myself together. It saw me and ran, so I figured I just scared it when I got down.

Rory/MO 03-27-2008 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

I've had two experiences with coyotes after dark, how about you?...
1) Sitting by the camp fire sipping some hopps and barley by myself one night a few hours after sunset. All of a sudden I had a pack of 7 or 8 yotes within 100-200 yards surrounding me, so I went in and grabbed my shotgun. The yelping and calling continued closer until I scrambled back inside. I through some food out the door maybe 20 yards and watched but they never came. I was calling for my mommy!
2) Sitting in my stand for an afternoon hunt about 1 1/2 miles in the woods. I had about 5 minutes left of legal light and the yelping started a few hundred yards away. Didn't think much about it, until it got closer with more yotes calling back and fourth. Well I tell you I got my narrow white ass outta there pretty damn quick.
~ I usually carry my .44 mag while archery hunting, as there are many bear in the area and I was too lazy too grab it before I left the camp for the hunt.
Question #2 - Do you pack a pistola?

hahahhahahhahah

magicman54494 03-27-2008 06:37 PM

coyotes dont bother me. wolves are a bit different. but never had a problem so far. I've been close to them several times.

RDHunter 03-27-2008 06:46 PM

Never had a fear of yotes even when they walked by my ground blind , if they got close enough I'll take a shot at them.
One day when I was walking to my evening stand I had this Badger come out from it's den less than ten yards from me , I just stood there and watched it while it try to figure out what I was.

SwampCollie 03-27-2008 06:48 PM

I almost hit one on interstate 95 in south carolina... where the 70 mph speed limit is generally just a polite suggestion and "95" is really more about the average speed. Didn't see him til I was about 40 yards from him and he just barely trotted past clear of me..... that scared me.

MeanV2 03-27-2008 06:48 PM

Coyotes would be the least of my worries. I've hunted a lot of Bear and Cougar country, and have walked out over a mile through dense woods after dark. I wouldn't say I was scared, but you better believe I'm cautious;)

Dan

mauser06 03-27-2008 07:04 PM

im not afraid of them...they are just afraid of you as you are of them...ive only ever seen 2 while hunting...1 was fall turkey it came by and i didnt know if my buddies uncle(his farm) would be happy or mad so i didnt blast it...BIG BEAUTIFUL yote...i still get made fun of for not feeding him a turkey load..and kick myself hard...

2nd was last fall walking into an archery spot of mine...was getting ready to enter the woods from the field and shined my light down the trail i was going to enter the woods on...there stood a yote...stand on my back...15yds away broadside...all i could think of was nock and arrow and try to get a shot! i could clearly see it was a yote...and dont know why it didnt bolt, but it didnt. i couldnt figure out a way to draw my bow and get my pins lite up and also get the yote lite up...he was lucky....heard him running around the far hillside after i climbed up but never saw him...

i DID have a gray fox bark at me this fall...hour before light..just setlled in my tree...it was ear piercing but also deep and raspy...he did it like 3 or 4 times..must have crossed my trail...scared me to death...i had no idea what it was but i was scared...i later found out it was a grey fox...i seen him twice while bowhunting and could drilled him both years...but it was before the season...maybe this year he will slip up and come by after he is fair game!!!