Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bear Spray More Effective than Guns.. >

Bear Spray More Effective than Guns..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bear Spray More Effective than Guns..

Old 03-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear Spray More Effective than Guns..

That is wild! The momentum that animal had would take them right into the shooter in this instance.I don't know enough about the effectiveness of pepper spray,would it disable an animal quickly enough.How do you stop a freight train like that?
I give the shooter a lot of credit for getting it done under those circumstances!! I would hope that I would be able to have the presence of mind.That is not a shot you can practice!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: tsoc

That is wild! The momentum that animal had would take them right into the shooter in this instance.I don't know enough about the effectiveness of pepper spray,would it disable an animal quickly enough.How do you stop a freight train like that?
I give the shooter a lot of credit for getting it done under those circumstances!! I would hope that I would be able to have the presence of mind.That is not a shot you can practice!
No doubt, that guy had to have a great big pair to stand there while the Grizz was charging. Notice how everybody else including the dude with the slug gun on the right, the original shooter (with a gun) and the camera man started to back up when that bear was rumbling on in.

I think the bear spray could have worked to detour that bear......operative wordsbeing "think" and "could". Would I have been willing to bet my life on it? Nope, especially with that wind and rain....who knows how the spray would have performed....pretty obvious how the gun did.

Notice the guide also was packing a pretty big revolver on his hip....Yep that would be me....And to quote my favorite line of this thread by Matt / PA
Not fun carrying a large caliber handgun around everywhere but it's not fun being dead either I guess.
Funny...I didn't see him reach for a can of bear spray.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that guide didn't get the biggest tip of his life I would be shocked!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Nobody ever going to convince me pepper spray would be more effective than a gun fending off a charging Griz. I'd take my chances with the hardware. Eastern black bears are the most docile creatures in the woods around here. Amazing considering their strength and speed. Scared silly of humans. I've had several encountersover the last 20 years. Had one try to climb my tree, ran across one over a deer gut pile, had one shadow me (trying to figure out what I was I recon), came across a mother and cubs, and in every instance, yelling made each and every one bolt for cover. Lost count how many time I've smelled them. I carry a gun for coyotes. Their "yipping" at dark thirty makes me uneasy. Especially dragging a deer.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

deer attack people too you know, do they make a spray for that? I would take a gun over spray on a deer any day. as for the bear, you would never catch me 2 yards from one sprayin him with pepper spray, hed be dead within 10 yards. if i was goin into the bear woods, id do it with a big big gun, i ain't gunna take any chances with the spray.